Thermalright SI-120 Does not fit

Associate
Right i have been looking for a custom K8 socket convertor for my Thermalright SI-120 so that i could install it on my new AMD Setup.

I found someone willing to sell there K8 Adaptor and got it yesterday, but it looks like it wont fit on my ASRock Dual Sata 2 board.

I removed the old K8 Socket Bracket and attempted to place the Thermalright SI-120 one in its place, but the 4pins that sit in each corner are not in the same place as the one attached to the ASRock, the screw whole are, but i dont have the screws that came with the Thermalright SI-120.

I was thinking of just finding some screws that may fit it, but im worried that it wouldnt be stable enough and may cause to much strain on the board.

I really need to sort this out ASAP, so what should i do? Just throw in the towel with the Thermalright SI-120 and flog it on? or should i try and risk it with some dodgy screws?

Man of Honour
If i remember rightly when i fitted mine there are only two bolts securing the retention module to the motherboard. The nuts if a remember, sit in a hexagon slot shaped to hold the nuts at the rear of the plate so that you can screw the bolts from the front. All you need to do is find yourself the corredt nuts and bolts and fit them. There should be no problems at all.

Ok then, all change. I just got the fitting manual out for the SI-120 and all you need are 2 15mm long screws with a M3 thread or as the manual puts it 2x M3 0.5*15mm screws. You should be able to get these from any good DIY store or even a computer shop. If you cant find any 15mm long ones then buy longer ones and cut them down with a hacksaw but remember to clean the thread up where you have cut it off otherwise you may damage the thread in the retention bracket.

Stick with it as it is an awesome heatsink and the best i have ever used. :)

Associate
OP
Yeah i know it is awesome, i had it running on my old P4 system, but miss placed the box which was the reason why i needed to source the K8 Bracket again.

Guess i could go to a DIY store first and try and find the screws as i really dont wanna use any other cooler :/

Man of Honour
You know it makes sense. It's not as if the screws are special or specific only to the SI-120. They are just ordinary M3 screws. Actually they might be similar to ones used to hold the two halves of a new 3 pin mains plug. Not sure what thread that is though. It should only cost about a pound for a packet of screws. Just make sure they are the flat ended type and not the pointed type as in wood screws.

*Edit*
Sorry just checked for you. The plug ones are different. Looks like the DIY store. If you have no joy there try your local electrical repair shop. They should definately have some and will probably only charge you a couple of pence each.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yeah going to go have a run round in my lunch today and see if i can find some.

I attempted it with some mini ones that i had lying around in my tool box las night but they was a bit too small and i didnt think they would hold it good enough.

Associate
OP
Hmmm it would seem that the ASRock also needs the "K8 motherboard backplate" which does not come with the SL-120 :/ how gay

acce_k8_backplate.jpg

Looks like i may have to go buy a new cooler then!

Associate
OP
Right i can find the above anywhere :/ so im going to go to "local hi-street we dont know computers shop" and pick up at "Akasa AK-913 EVO 33 Direct HeatPipe" as its same price as OcUK and i need it ASAP otherwise id have bought it from here.

I will now be selling the Thermalright SI-120 and 120mm Delta Fan

Associate
Phunky,

If you still have the k8 part, I'd be interested in getting it of you.Pm me if you're interested. Just joined and can't do PM's until mods sort it out.

Cheers,

D

Back
Top Bottom