Thermaltake Commander F6 Rgb help

Associate
I have a Thermaltake Commander F6 Rgb and it only has 3 pin headers and most of my fans have 4 pins and wondering how to run them safely or should I buy 3 pin fans?
I would also like to know if anyone knows if its ok to run an AIO pump from this controller

Soldato
That controller varies the DC voltage supply rather than sending a PWM control signal, hence just 3-pin connectors.

Most 4-pin PWM fans will run fine off different DC supply voltages. Some can be sensitive but you should be OK. Will the 4-pin fan plugs physically fit?

You'd be fine running a pump from it too, but I wouldn't vary the speed too much. Does the AIO pump have a 3 or a 4-pin connector? Or does it have a separate power connector? Best to check its manual.

Associate
OP
That controller varies the DC voltage supply rather than sending a PWM control signal, hence just 3-pin connectors.

Most 4-pin PWM fans will run fine off different DC supply voltages. Some can be sensitive but you should be OK. Will the 4-pin fan plugs physically fit?

You'd be fine running a pump from it too, but I wouldn't vary the speed too much. Does the AIO pump have a 3 or a 4-pin connector? Or does it have a separate power connector? Best to check its manual.
its the Kraken X52

Soldato
X52 is controlled by USB and gets its power from SATA. The 3-pin cable is just so the motherboard can read pump speed.

So connecting it to a fan controller won't do anything.

Associate
OP
X52 is controlled by USB and gets its power from SATA. The 3-pin cable is just so the motherboard can read pump speed.

So connecting it to a fan controller won't do anything.
thanks for explaining, a bit disappointed as I wanted to control the speed of the pump through the fan controller . I was thinking if there was some kind of SATA to 3 pin cable ? this is all I have found do you think it would work https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15Pin-SA...500739?hash=item4203238403:g:WaUAAOSwL0tdCQFo

Soldato
That's the wrong direction - bringing power from SATA to a fan header. You're describing taking power from a fan header to a SATA plug. But that still wouldn't work I think, as we should assume the X52 has internal circuitry to manage pump and fan power. So the SATA input is processed a bit before reaching the pump.

I also wouldn't want to run an AIO pump at too low a speed unless it's designed for it. Some AIOs recommend full speed all the time but I think some can be varied.

Does the pump noise bother you? There's no point changing speed based on temperatures really, just keep it set somewhere not too low.

Associate
OP
That's the wrong direction - bringing power from SATA to a fan header. You're describing taking power from a fan header to a SATA plug. But that still wouldn't work I think, as we should assume the X52 has internal circuitry to manage pump and fan power. So the SATA input is processed a bit before reaching the pump.

I also wouldn't want to run an AIO pump at too low a speed unless it's designed for it. Some AIOs recommend full speed all the time but I think some can be varied.

Does the pump noise bother you? There's no point changing speed based on temperatures really, just keep it set somewhere not too low.
I think this would be the right cable https://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLOCK-Cable-Power-15-Pin-Floppy/dp/B018NKPUIA , would the internal circuitry change anything if its getting power from the fan controller instead ? I think the software does let you run the pump from 60% to 100% but I don't like running software programs when gaming.
I guess if its to risky I would leave the pump where it is but i thought it would be nice to add it to the fan controller

Soldato
That cable has a floppy drive connector rather than fan header. You could cut it and splice to a fan extension. I can't comment on what the pump does internally, suffice to say it's probably got some circuitry doing something rather than straight wiring to the pump.

It could use a PWM setup to pulse the 12V supply, you may find similar effects altering the 12V supply yourself. I've had success controlling PWM fans with a DC voltage control and PWM signal at the same time. So you could try it if you're really keen. I'd make sure not to go below about 7-9V at the lowest.

N.B. competitor linking isn't allowed on these forums as they're funded by OcUK, just FYI :) You could add pictures instead.

Back
Top Bottom