Things that ruined your childhood

Man of Honour
Amongst all the doom and gloom I thought it would be fun to discuss things that gave us a fright or disturbed us when we were young.

What’s prompted me is that I stumbled across the below clip from Ren and Stimpy. The show was so damn ****ed up and completely unsuitable for children. What were they thinking!! I can remember watching this show on BBC2 and feeling so awkward and unnerved by it. We are drawn to the things that scare you I guess.

The middle clip in this where Ren gets angry.... Jesus Christ! :eek:

There was an episode I remember where Ren is plotting to kill Stimpy in his sleep that was really disturbing but I can’t find a decent clip of it... seemed to be hard to find decent clips of the show on YouTube - probably for the best!! Anyone else have their childhood ruined by that show or any others?

In before the “Threads” :p

Man of Honour
OP
Most of the people I used to watch turning out to be pedo's put a taint on it.

Also, ren and stimoy was epic. Not sure it was a kids show.... Came out in my teens I think.
I’m afraid I’m going to spoil your childhood further because the creator of Ren and Stimpy was also recently plagued by accusations of ‘dodginess’, for which he in part apologised.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Kricfalusi

Man of Honour
OP
it was never gory though. Well, as gory as a cartoon can be.
Yup there was never any gore... plenty of ‘hammer to face’ sort of moments though. They made a reference to a bag full of drowning of kittens once that was pretty brutal :s

I was always on ‘Team Tom’ :)

Man of Honour
OP
Posted before in the random image thread.

The Hamlyn Book's of Ghosts & Horror. Like a moth to a flame, as a nipper I would scare myself witless.

Awesome illustrations and picked up copies not so long ago.

hamlyn-ghosts-1978-3.jpg

hamlyn-ghosts-1978-5.jpg
There’s a series of books called Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark that famously has some warped imagery in it.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/tune...s-from-scary-stories-to-tell-in-the-dark/amp/

Man of Honour
OP
I ended up finding the full episode of Ren and Stimpy that I was on about in full - the one where Ren tries to kill Stimpy. It's called "Stimpy's Fan Club". That section where Ren is talking to himself when Stimpy sleeps... holy ****. Watching it now it puts my on edge like it gave me PTSD.

"...aaaaand with theeeeeseee handssssss I controlllll the fate of milliooooonssss..."

S68Tx0A.jpg

Ren and Stimpy was never a kids show, and never marketed as such! It was on fairly late in the evening.
It was on post-simpsons on BBC2 I think. I know what you mean in that it was never aimed at young children but it was a show that seemed to delight in having disgusting and disturbing material in full knowledge that would be watched by people that were children.

For example, in that episode I just mentioned, there is a middle section (post-advert break unrelated to the main episode) where Ren menacingly asks in a demonic voice "are your parents watching? no?..... GOOD" before a 15 year old girl pledges allegiance to the show and to wear unwashed lederhosen for the rest of her life and submits to going on all fours attached to some unspecified machine.... before Ren tells the audience that he will "tear the tonsils out" of anyone that tells and Stimpy says "OK kids.... back to our secret show" :eek:

Unsurprisingly, that was edited off the BBC airing (from what I have read). In light of the child abuse allegations faced by the creator that was particularly unsettling to watch.

Oh... there was later a deliberately adult version of Ren and Stimpy called "adult cartoon party". Seemingly drawn towards odd things I did watch a couple of episodes yesterday and can tell you all not to bother. It's absolute dross. The episode called "Ren Seeks Help" is one of the most miserable, meanest, most offensive and disgusting things I have ever watched. It's almost unspeakable but so you don't go out of your way to find it let's just say it involved the drawn out torture of many innocent animals purely for the 'joy of causing pain'. Made me feel ill and puts me off the whole show in entirely. I clearly enjoy being freaked out but that was way too far. Eurgh. :(

Man of Honour
OP
I’m really not sure if was an age thing but as tense as it can be I have never found Alien to be ‘frightening’.

Back
Top Bottom