Things that should be present in every computer.

Associate
I was talking to a mate last night about what features should be present in all computers to make them better, either things that already exist on some hardware or things that have not been bought to the market yet.

The 2 that I thought off which makes life easier for the user are on/off and reset buttons mounted on the motherboard, as far as I know DFI started this feature but recently other manufacturers are starting to use it on there boards. It makes life so much easier when you are working out of the case and means that you dont have to look for switchers to turn the motherboard on. Simple yet very effective.

The 2nd feature would be to make all future optical drives SATA only so that evry IDE cable I own could be stuck in a bin and covered in petrol, I really hate IDE cables and they make cases look untidy, the only problem with this is that motherboards would have to have a minimum of 8 sata plugs to accomodate the new drives.

I was seriously considering buying the Plextor drive just as it had Sata but at close to 70quid I couldnt bring myself to it, so what things would you like to see implemented into future hardware and how would it makes things better?

Soldato
all edges and sharp pointy bits to be rounded ? would be nice to stop catching little cuts on things,

also a universal clip for all cpus and heatsinks, stupid back plates should not be needed if they were built well.

Associate
OP
Yeah thats a good one, I really hate finishing off a new build and then having to read the manual (probly the only manual I do read, the others just get thrown to back of cupboard) and then trying to plug those stupid headers in with my chubby hands. :)

Associate
usefull :

3 or 4 sys_fan connectors.
a couple of plastic stand offs, for those system cases that always seem to have a mounting hole missing

pretty :

a translucent motherboard, maybe with embedded LEDs

Soldato
Not having the front panel audio headers on the back of the motherboard! (near the I/O panel)

Cables that are easier to bend.

Associate
OP
@ Translucent Motherboard - That would look real nice, but pretty expensive I would imagine, I really liked the setup ATI had a past computer show where they had that white motherboard in a perspex case with ATI lit up in red lights.

@ Front Panel Audio - Sometimes I just dont understand the layout that manufacturers choose, have you seen the AW8 layout, sata slots under the graphics card :confused:

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Agr3sive said:
Yeah thats a good one, I really hate finishing off a new build and then having to read the manual (probly the only manual I do read, the others just get thrown to back of cupboard) and then trying to plug those stupid headers in with my chubby hands. :)

I use needle nosed pliers and a torch to overcome the large/clumsy fingers problem but a standard plug would be infinitely more sensible.

I wish the SATA cables that come with the mobo would fit more securely instead of having to buy special ones so the damn things stay on.

I also like the idea of the clear cmos button on the case.

Stan :)

Soldato
sgoaty said:
...Northbridge fan placement is poor and the cpu retention bracket is the wrong way for most coolers

I didn't know that. But what I do like is the placement of the connectors. I've also heard other people say the audio solution is quite good on that board.

Associate
OP
Bigstan said:
I use needle nosed pliers and a torch to overcome the large/clumsy fingers problem but a standard plug would be infinitely more sensible.

I wish the SATA cables that come with the mobo would fit more securely instead of having to buy special ones so the damn things stay on.

I also like the idea of the clear cmos button on the case.

Stan :)

Some motherboard manufacturers are starting to catch on about the sata plugs, on my Abit Fata1ty AA8XE the sata plugs have little metal clips on which means to unclip them you have to push the metal in, There is no way they will come out of the drive/mobo without you unclipping it.

Makes you wonder if one company can do, why dont they all?

You can see the socket clips here, the metal clips hook into the holes.

17vo2.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OK so far we got:

Reset and power buttons on the mobo
Optical SATA drives
Clear CMOS buttons
Sharp edges to be rounded
Universal clip for all cpus and heatsinks
All motherboards having a standard 'plug' for the front panel header
Retail dust filter that works 100%
3 or 4 sys_fan connectors
A couple of plastic stand offs
A translucent motherboard, maybe with embedded LEDs
Not having the front panel audio headers on the back of the motherboard! (near the I/O panel)
Cables that are easier to bend
Colour coded mobo and cables
Good motherboard layout(placement of connectors and stuff)
Secure SATA plugs

Caporegime
I much prefer ide cables, they have a much better fit and dont snap like the flimsy sata cables. One hdd got ruined because the sata cable snapped off the connector on the hd.

Soldato
Energize said:
I much prefer ide cables, they have a much better fit and dont snap like the flimsy sata cables. One hdd got ruined because the sata cable snapped off the connector on the hd.

Thats why we want secure SATA connectors/plugs ;)

Back
Top Bottom