Think my watercooling pump has gone?

Associate
So anyways I posted my machine today. Got a BSOD. Noticed my cpu temp hit 90c.

Thought that was strange. Noticed a big air loop in my system. Moved it around a little topped my coolant up. Same issue. As I bought my system pre built I don't have a great knowledge On this.

Anything else I can check for?

Thanks in advance

Associate
OP
Is the pump making any noises?

I can feel vibrations from it. But nothing is moving and it overheats after a few minutes.

RHC3GCY

https://ibb.co/RHC3GCY

Last edited:
Associate
OP
OK so I've just increased the pump flow rate setting from 2 to 5 and it's making a lot more noise, but I don't seem to be getting a flow. I've tried moving the case around upside down etc. What else could be stopping the flow?

Also spotted a huge air bubble in my pipes. Ugh this could be it I've tried moving the case every which way to get this into my reservoir but it seems to be moving itself back into the radiator :(.

https://ibb.co/FhQQfx1

Last edited:
Associate
Sounds like the motor itself is still working then, but perhaps the pump impellers have come adrift. Without a flow meter in the loop the only way to be sure would be to disconnect it from the system to physically test the outlet for flow.

Soldato
What Jokester asked.

If coolant level is different when pump is running than when not it is likely an air lock and not bad pump.

How old is your system?

Associate
OP
What Jokester asked.

If coolant level is different when pump is running than when not it is likely an air lock and not bad pump.

How old is your system?

System is around 2-3 years. But it's had little use some months I haven't even turned the machine on due to irl distractions. Pump impellors adrift? How can I check for this?

Associate
OP
You could have an air block somewhere, when you start and stop the pump, does the water level in your res go down any?

Not it seems static tbh. But I found that huge air bubble by moving the pc case around physically. I've topped up the reservoir via this method considerably. Probably took another 120ml so far.

Soldato
Again, what Jokester suggested.
With the age of our coolant it's hard to say what may be growing in the system, so draining and flushing to make sure it's clean is good idea. And while it's drained is good time to disassemble and check out pump.

Back
Top Bottom