Thinking about buying a laptop. Opinion on Turion CPU's?

Associate
Hi guys,

Been toying with the idea of getting a laptop for my studying. I've been looking at several Asus models and one that catches my eye is a 1.6Ghz Turion model with 512Mb ram and a Geforce 6200Go graphics chip (want something decent graphics wise)

I havent seen much mention of these CPU's on here and was wondering if any members who own one/know anything about them can enlighten me as to how good they are?

I assume they are better than a Celeron/Sempron setup?

Rob

OcUK Staff
xander_uk2 said:
Hi guys,

Been toying with the idea of getting a laptop for my studying. I've been looking at several Asus models and one that catches my eye is a 1.6Ghz Turion model with 512Mb ram and a Geforce 6200Go graphics chip (want something decent graphics wise)

I havent seen much mention of these CPU's on here and was wondering if any members who own one/know anything about them can enlighten me as to how good they are?

I assume they are better than a Celeron/Sempron setup?

Rob

Are you referring to the one on OcUK's This Week Deal page? If so its has a GeForce 7300 GO in it which is superior to the 6200.....

Soldato
Basically AMD released the Turion to compete with the Pentium-M (Dothan and Banias). It was a good chip but still used about double the current draw of the P-M which meant it's battery life, although good, still couldn't compete with the P-M. It was marginally faster IIRC but this was at the trade off of battery. Intel have got an excellent chip in the P-M (now Yonah) but the Turion is a cheaper alternative and still a very good chip being a low voltage A64.

Back
Top Bottom