Thinking about contracting

Soldato
My background is in development, mostly focussed around Java. For the past 18 months I've been a Senior IAM consultant. Which has essentially involved writing Apis and front-end gateways/user admin apps for integration into Okta and third party IdPs. Involving SAML 1.1, SAML 2.0 and OIDC/Oauth 2.

It's been pretty intense and whilst I've enjoyed the work the level of stress I've felt over the past few months has made me feel quite ill at times. The project is coming to end soon for me and hand over is almost complete.

I'm going to see what the next 6 months brings, but I am considering if I could start contracting. I'd like to continue making a decent salary but I'm not sure I've enjoyed the stress the level of responsibility the more senior positions bring.

I'm 38 now with two young kids 9 + 5. One thing I have enjoyed about this job is that 99% of the time I have worked from home. Given my location of Bristol and my background is it realistic to expect to reliably find contracts within 30-40 mile radius? These are just musings at the moment and I've not done any proper research yet.

Back
Top Bottom