Thinking of buying a 208 GTi

Soldato
Alright guys, I'm looking at a few cars currently, I'm open to ideas. I'm 27 years old, I don't have any no claims, I currently use my works van which is on a fleet insurance which should lower my cars insurance. I don't really need to drive long distance or many miles. I drive for a living but I'm sick of a 200K Transit Van so I'm after a car!

Anyway my budget is £7k to £12k. Lately I've been reading a lot on the Peugeot 208 GTI. It just looks perfect, fun to drive and filled with glowing reviews. Does anyone own one of these?

Here's a couple I've looked at.
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-Peugeo...%3Ae87b86a91590a2aba43b7b6cffb799ae%7Ciid%3A8

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/2016-Peugeo...%3Af1f0aacc1590a7854edbc630ffa30042%7Ciid%3A7

The Fiesta ST is another option but 208 GTI looks a bit better IMO but I know I'd be playing it safe with a ST

Any advice guys!

Soldato
OP
I have never been a fan of Mini Coopers. As for the Renaults, I've looked at 200s but I don't fancy a paddle shifter gearbox, I'm pretty much after a full manual.

My mates 2007 Clio (97bhp) turned into a lemon after a few years and has been stuck in the garage for over 6 months now I don't think he even wants it back as the electrics went (airbag sensor). You need to have your car repaired with special codes nowadays sadly.

Ideally I would like to steer clear from Renault due to reliability problems down the line, I do feel like I'll have it better with Peugeot for some reason. We use Peugeot vans, Bippers and Partners (63-15 plates) and they never give use trouble and some are on 140K. My mate seems to think my 208 GTI will just become a money pit.

As for the BMW, I actually originally wanted a BMW 320D or 320D. I'm sort of still open to one it's just I'd imagine buying a naturally aspirated petrol engine to be more fun and better if Imy not traveling much. An upside to a 320D is I could give Uber a whirl as a second job.

Those links I posted aren't too far, I'm wondering if I should pay £8k for a 46k 2013 plate or £12.7k for a 2016 plate 10k. The 2016 one I linked looks like it has the panoramic sunroof too!

Thanks for the replies guys!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
That Toyota GT86 does look good too. I might call this place up and go down for a test drive.

Should I have a good warranty with a 2016 Pug? It's from Robins and Day and if I like it I could get a lift down.

Soldato
OP
My original plan was to go for a 2L Diesel, ideally a BMW 320D and double it up as an Uber as a second job. Sort of thought if just buying a car for myself instead now.

I'm trying to opt for the 208 GTI prestige model. Is the May 2015+ face-lift model much better than the previous ones?

It's between £8k 2013 46K miles 208 GTI or spend more £13k and get a 16 plate with 10k miles but it will be the prestige model instead. Also it will be orange instead of red etc

Soldato
OP
Does the 208 GTI Prestige have a limited slip differential or a torsen, or is that only the 30th edition?

I'm gonna go down to Manchester in a few hours and see if I can test drive one. I'll call them first and see if they still have it.

Soldato
OP
Test drove the £12699 car today and I have to say it was really nice. I didn't get to explore driving it much it being on a test drive but it was pretty fast driving and braking was insane.

It looked amazing, can't describe how good it.looked, I mean in the photos it looks red but it's not in real life its a deep orange. I didn't want to leave it haha!

I got there and they're trying to say they have put the price up to £12999 which I don't want to pay. I haven't bought it but I think they will offer me.it tomorrow at that price. I get a Peugeot warranty of 25months too.

I should try the Fiesta ST. For me the 208 Gti, I love the.orange colour and the sunroof too. They arent common either.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the replies guys. I saw a really nice 208 GTI yesterday in Crewe. Compared to my other option it's £3K cheaper but it's not the prestige trim, it's black (still nice) and it's 4 years old. The guy yesterday gave me the key and let me have a good look at it so today I'm gonna test drive it. It's only done 16th miles too.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-Peugeo...3A22c53dcc15a0a6a8f56bb0bdfffd9a28%7Ciid%3A18

My only perk is I don't think it has a manufacturer warranty. It passed it's MOTs. The garage offer a 3 month warranty with it and they do an extended warranty for £250/15 months.

For the price of £10k it's good but should I offer a bit less and see if I can get an extended warranty covered? So £10K but they do the £250 too?

Soldato
OP
I went to the garage yesterday for test drive and they pretty much gave me the keys and let me take it away no licence or anything, I didn't want to bring it back! The car is pretty fast there's no doubt about that. I agree 3 months is awful they should giving 1 year free on all cars for peace of mind. That's off putting.

So anyway I've got two Fiesta STs to have a look at and another 208 GTI. This other GTI looks promising as it's a lot cheaper, it's been serviced and had new tyres, it has a manufacturer warranty too! It has however done 47K miles!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-Peug...045620?hash=item4b106bc5b4:g:i6UAAOSw6WdXiOF5

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-13-FORD-FIESTA-1-6-ST-2-3D-180-BHP-/172493942139?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

Back
Top Bottom