Thinking of driving to Spain next August.

Soldato
For something different to do we are thinking of driving to Majorca in August next year.

Has anyone done this and give any tips on cost for the toll roads ect and the 2 ferry crossings ?

I’ve got a pretty good economic car and can get there and back on £200 of petrol.

Cost of fights for us 3 will be around the £1000 mark and the holiday (already booked) is also £1000.

There will be 2 of us driving with a total of 3 in the car.

Any tips would be grateful guys.

Soldato
OP
Yeah I’ll be using the Euro tunnel for the uk to France leg and of course a ferry to Majorca.

Any ideas on the price for the tolls ?

Soldato
OP
I drove to Barcelona a few years ago, i think the tolls each way cost about £70. I did all the driving myself and stopped overnight in Rouen. I actually really enjoyed it, the freedom of choosing your route, where to stop, etc! You can put your route on the viamichelin website and it will work out your approximate tolls,

https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/

I believe you can get the ferry from Barcelona to Majorca too. You can put details in on the website but the dates don't go that far yet. It take about 6 hours from Barcelona to Mallorca.

https://www.balearia.com/en

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info m8,I’ll look into it.

Soldato
OP
Yeah I’ll be stopping over in France for sure,I know it’s a long way but it’s something I want to do (bit like some people on here driving on the ring) and will do it next year or the year after,will have to sit down and work out a route with a stop over for the 3 of us.

Soldato
OP
How long are you planning to go for?

Would echo a toll tag being ideal if going through France. It is tempting to head off the motorway but every junction, roundabout and village/town you pass through with speed limits eats into your average speed compared to wafting along on the toll roads.
I’m going for 7 days in Spain but I’ve got 3 days each side of he holiday to do anything and that’s why I wanted to drive as I’ve got the time to drive there.

There is also a factor of hiring a car in Spain when we get there but if I’m driving I’ll have a car to drive around the island.

Soldato
OP
I drive Manchester to Valencia on average 3 times a year. The routes I tend to take are...
  1. 24hr ferry from Portsmouth to either Bilbao or Santander followed by a 7 hour drive. To be honest I’ve been stopping a night in a Parador on the way to Valencia to break up the journey.
  2. Channel Tunnel followed by toll roads. I can single stop this with Dijon being half way from Manchester (about 650 miles) but I tend to 2 stop it.
  3. Overnight ferry from Hull to Zeebrugger and the two stops down to Spain.
Some other thoughts...
  • You can get a ferry to the Majorca and Ibiza from Barcelona and Valencia.
  • From Jan 1st the AP7 in Spain is toll free from Tarragona to Alicante.
  • It is worth renting a tag for the French toll roads.
  • Fuel is f'ing expensive in France. Brim the tank in the UK and Spain
  • The days of sitting at a ton on French toll roads is long gone.
Happy to answer any other questions,,
That’s superb,thanks for your time in posting.

Back
Top Bottom