Thinking of gas conversion?

Associate
Currently driving a 2.0 99 plate mondeo. I've just recently got a new job meaning i'm going to be doing roughly 20,000 miles a year. Working it out its going to cost £2.5-3k a year just in petrol as i only seem to get 350miles on a tank @ £50.

Now I've found it'll cost roughly £2k for the gas conversion, but i should save £1500 in petrol costs a year if i just use gas.

What I really want to know is has anyone had the conversion done? Does it effect performance much? In particular if anyones had it done on a mondeo and knows where they fit the tank, its size and roughly how many miles you can do on it that would be great.

Associate
OP
[TW]Fox said:
What sort of roads are you going to be doing the driving on? If its Motorways, sticking to 75 indicated will give you an average of over 40mpg on the 2.0 Mondeo which should help towards those fuel costs.

It'll be a mixture of motorways and "fun" back roads. Just out of curiosity how many miles to you get from a full tank in yours?

Associate
OP
v0n said:
Tax on LPG is about to go up by 75%. Don't do conversion, especially that it costs in UK about 150% more than anywhere else in the world and gas in more expensive already than anywhere else.

ah ok cheers, didn't know that.

To be honest it was just a passing thought as my mileage is jumping up a lot(16k) because of this new job.

Associate
OP
hsp70 said:
A benefit not many people know about lpg though is that if your car is converted you can register it to go free through the congestion zone in london.

Not really a benefit as I won't be travelling into London. As I said was just a passing thought as its a big jump up in mileage for myself, from 7-8k to nearer 25k.

Associate
OP
Cheers for all the replys guys, personally i'd not seen it as a waste as it would have paid for it self in the first 15months and then be reducing my yearly travel costs by 50%.

Pretty much decided it won't happen, as i said it was only a passing thought and i was a little curious about it.

May well look for it in my next car though, depending on its tax situation etc etc.

Cheers once again.

Back
Top Bottom