Thinking of joining the Army

Soldato
Hi all

For years now ive thought about joining the Army as an Infantry soldier but never really pushed myself to do so, Plus having spoke to my dad over the years about when he was in the Army it was like he was trying to put me off it... He was out in Northern Ireland when it was all kicking off and he has many things to say about those times... After 28 years of my life ive only recently found out he has PTSD and suffers a lot with it..

Do we have anyone on here who has been or is in the Army that could talk to me about joining etc?

I went to the local Army offices and spoke to members there that have explained a lot and how I can achieve many things including a career in Engineering and many other subjects, Get my driving licence and also travel the world...

Any Information or support welcome

Cheers

Associate
You're 28? Leaving it a bit late tbh. If you're asking on a forum about joining the army then it's probably not for you. If you've 'thought about it' for years but never done it, that says it all really. Walk on by. (I'm ex forces).

Soldato
I'm 28 now, and wanted to join the army my entire life. That was my plan as a 16 year old but Ulcerative Colitis was on the list of medical conditions that were not permitted, so that was a no go from me.

I couldn't imagine joining now at my 28 even if I could, but more power to you if you feel it's for you. But as said before, it's really not a decision to be taken lightly, and probably one you know damn well in your head whether or not it's really for you...

Best of luck.

Soldato
I would say don't do it. Your volunteering to become a willing foot solder of the mega rich for a millionth of a single % of their wealth - your human right of choice goes with it (because for some reason humans do things when its written on bits of dead tree and called a 'contract')

One day you may end up being forced to murder someone who's done nothing wrong, either intentionally or accidentally - in the name of 'patriotism' (or delusional blind following of a so called flag)

Why would anyone want to live a life of servitude for a below average pay on the promise they might gain a few skills they can easily get outside of a military??

You're a human, not a drone - avoid & become your own person.

The military is nothing more than the licensed on the ground muscle of government - and as we can see from recent events the people in goverment are 99% rotten 'humans'.

I sadly see why we need a military, but I don't agree with it - I think I was born in the wrong time, I wish I was born in a time when all humans had evolved socially to all get along and help one another - a very star trek world, but a Nobel one non the less.......I specifically say evolved socially because we have the brains and intelligence to do it now - its just as a group were not.......so far were at the point where different humans have formed large advanced tribes (countries), and it will be a while longer until we operate as one species..........however the tricky bit is doing that for the benefit of everyone, not as slaves (of any sort) of 'the few' who want to control us all.

Anyway's off on a tangent there :D - don't do it.

Associate
I sadly see why we need a military, but I don't agree with it.

All you needed to say, didn't need all that drivel that went with it.

Enjoy walking down the street safe in the knowledge that the boys (and girls) are out there putting their bit on the line so you can keyboard commando from the comfort of your lazy boy.

I can assure you everyone in the forces is their own individual and made their own choice to be there. They're a collective of individuals working as a group to to achieve what an individual can't.

I can assure a lot of skills learnt in the forces are out of reach for the civ pop, like yourself.

Caporegime
As an earlier poster has already pointed out, the fact you've thought about it for ages but haven't joined says it all.

It doesn't sound like a good idea to join the infantry at your age in general anyway, you're nearly 29, god knows how long the paperwork etc.. takes these days you could well be 30 or close to by the time you get through your phase 1 and phase 2 training and get to your unit.

Your platoon commander would generally be nearly 10 years younger than you, in fact in some cases they could be as young as 19 if they went straight to Sandhurst from 6th form. Your platoon sergeant could be around your age or slightly younger. Your section commander could be 5 years younger than you and your section 2ic could well be early 20s. Your buddies would mostly be 10 years younger than you and mostly interested in getting completely wasted whenever possible and going out clubbing etc..

That is just in general from the information given in the OP.

Given your previous thread where IIRC you've had a tantrum over work not paying you because you took a couple of days off at short notice to cover childcare do you think the lifestyle will fit? You've seemingly got a wife and kid(s) and you realise you'll need to be away from them for your initial training, career courses, exercises and potentially operational tours too?

You also IIRC posted about how you wanted to work in IT, then apparently you wanted to be a motorcycle courier, then it was IT again, though seemingly after just one failed interview for a job you didn't get you got upset.

You'll need a bit more commitment and motivation if you want to join the army tbh... I really don't think it is for you. IF you are going to attempt it then perhaps something like the Royal Signals would be a better fit, you'll get some trade training and it overlaps with your previous apparent interest in IT.

Soldato
the crew of the uss defiant might have a different view of your 'star trek' world :p

At least humanity and many other races are working together :p

All you needed to say, didn't need all that drivel that went with it.

Enjoy walking down the street safe in the knowledge that the boys (and girls) are out there putting their bit on the line so you can keyboard commando from the comfort of your lazy boy.

I can assure you everyone in the forces is their own individual and made their own choice to be there. They're a collective of individuals working as a group to to achieve what an individual can't.

I can assure a lot of skills learnt in the forces are out of reach for the civ pop, like yourself.

Not drivel, just why I think there shouldnt need to be a military - the reasons they fight are pointless, of course the people that fight them back also need to have a nice sit down and stop killing people. My point is all humanity should stop being idiots, not just our gov/military.

Sadly it is human nature to want to divide, conquer and try to rule - we collectively need to wake up - like the great philosopher rage against the machine said :p

I don't question the bravery of people going to fight, I question why the world is like it is, that they have to go and fight in the first place, both the UK's 'enemies' and the rest of the world.

Of course the whole solution to this is to change our way of life from consumerism & the very way of life for the whole planet, but thats a long ways off.

Anyways back on topic, as others have pointed out OP should just not join - his own little bubble of existance from what I read of other posters seems to good to lose in the grand scheme of things.

Soldato
The forces are crying out for engineers at the moment. Engineers is one of the trades where you will be guaranteed decent qualifications - but you may need to top them up to make them civilian related.

I am not too sure what infantry would offer in terms of quals though - slim to none I am guessing apart from a driving license. They do offer reimbursements on higher education, but that is all done in your own time. (£6000 off a degree for serving 8+ years).

However, assuming you wouldn't be an officer, you will start at around £14000 in basic training. After which, you will get around £19000-20000 starting (ish).

Ignore everyone saying you are too old at 28. If you are a fit 28 year old, go for it. If you are not, try and do their fitness test. I am in the Navy, so our requirements are easier, but the Army (for officers) has the requirements in the link below:

https://apply.army.mod.uk/how-to-join/can-i-join/fitness

If you think you cannot do that, or at least start to condition yourself doing that, then look at other jobs.

Also - I get @Combat squirrel point, but all due respect, it is obviously a very idealistic viewpoint. Unfortunately, the way the world is, we need a Military!

Caporegime
Not drivel[...]

Sorry but I agree with the other poster - in the context of this forum (careers rather than SC) it is. The OP is asking about a career, replies ought to be about that. Otherwise every time someone has a thread about say banking or the oil industry or whatever and every other numpty could just chip in with their 2p about the morals of that industry etc...

Man of Honour
Unless you have an overwhelming urge to be in the military, I find it difficult to recommend joining the military nowadays, at least to anyone that has anything about them. If you're really not bright or have little to no skills and experience, it's an easy way to make an OK living, with very little thought, which is a result of having little control. I can't stress enough how strongly I believe that unless you are completely and utterly set on the military, you should definitely, definitely, not join the armed forces if you have any kind of experience that can get you in at a similar level of pay elsewhere.

Really ask yourself, what is it that you actually want to join for? What is it specifically about military service that draws you in? The things that may strike you as interesting and inspiring tend to be the things that become mundane more quickly than you can imagine. The road to being jaded and bitter begins there, and it can be a long, dark one.

Have you considered working for another government agency that has ties to the military and the Mod? No, you won't wear the uniform, but the chances are you'll resent it within two years anyway and be counting the days until you're handing it back in.

I can give you more specific advice if you like, but I'd much rather talk about this off the forum. Feel free to send me a trust message.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
As many have said your a tad old. Infantry work is hard work and by no means are you but old for infantry your old :)

RMP might suit you due to your age or technical roll if you have a skillset suitable.

Remember one thing, if you join do have the mindset what the army can do for you and nkt the other way around. (Ex forces as well)

Soldato
One day you may end up being forced to murder someone who's done nothing wrong, either intentionally or accidentally - in the name of 'patriotism' (or delusional blind following of a so called flag)

Why would anyone want to live a life of servitude for a below average pay on the promise they might gain a few skills they can easily get outside of a military??

You're a human, not a drone - avoid & become your own person.

I have been in the military for 25 years now, i have deployed to Afghan, Iraq and many other places around the world and not once have i been 'forced to murder' anyone. You're an idiot who has no clue what they are talking about.

Back
Top Bottom