Thinnest induction hob?

Soldato
OP
Update. John Lewis did a ****-poor job of installing it. The installers needed to make the hole a slither larger but while they removed the top drawer, they didn't remove the lower drawers with the result that sawdust and worse was everywhere. They were too lazy or incompetent to remove the drawers or put down a dust sheet.

P2Uk2Ed.jpg

QNrzfRQ.jpg

On the plus side it's much, much faster to heat up, and gets hotter to boot. It heated through my cast iron pan in seconds, andf it was smoking hot in another few seconds. That's versus a minute or three for my old iron hob. It's going to take some getting used to.

Soldato
That's pretty shocking for John Lewis! I'd be having a whinge and maybe you could get some of the install cost back for your inconvenience.

Once you've had induction, you won't go back :D

Soldato
what does the hob and drawer clearance look like.

How much do you pay for a JL install, presumably a qualified electrician ... but I would empty drawers in anticipation, unless you want them to manhandle contents,
like I clear route to stopcock if plumber is coming round.

Soldato
OP
what does the hob and drawer clearance look like.

It's fine. I specifically chose this hob because it was so slim.

How much do you pay for a JL install, presumably a qualified electrician

£90. It was a man and an older apprentice / assistant.

but I would empty drawers in anticipation

It was supposed to be a drop-in replacement. No carpentry required. And they bundled me out of the kitchen before I could do anything. My kitchen is VERY small.

Soldato
£90. It was a man and an older apprentice / assistant.
ok yes that's not cheap, thought you were going to say half that, so I'd probably send photo as a complaint;

previous property had a **** of a builder/plasterer who had decided to solicit my vacuum cleaner without asking - nearly decided to demand a new one, lesson learned

Soldato
Update. John Lewis did a ****-poor job of installing it. The installers needed to make the hole a slither larger but while they removed the top drawer, they didn't remove the lower drawers with the result that sawdust and worse was everywhere. They were too lazy or incompetent to remove the drawers or put down a dust sheet.

P2Uk2Ed.jpg

QNrzfRQ.jpg

On the plus side it's much, much faster to heat up, and gets hotter to boot. It heated through my cast iron pan in seconds, andf it was smoking hot in another few seconds. That's versus a minute or three for my old iron hob. It's going to take some getting used to.
The wife has ruined a very good fryng pan by letting it get too hot.
Yes it doesn't take long to heat up.
Make sure when you move a pan you lift it slightly and not drag it - do not get salt on hob either or it will scratch.
Every now and then I get a sheet of fine emery paper stuck down on flat surface and run the bases of pans over to get base level and smooth - you will find most induction pans have a concave base so it only levels up the edges of base.
A picture of finished job would be good.

Soldato
OP
A picture of finished job would be good.

The surround is not good. The overhang is much less than my old hob so it doesn't cover up the discoloured and chipped worktop.

Here's another pic I took. I had to lift up the hob to get a picture of the serial no etc to register for the warranty because the workmen took that documentation with them and I found this:

JISfw6X.jpg

John Lewis got back to me and have given me a £40 JL / Waitrose e-voucher as compensation. Unfortunately the JL in Aberdeen closed a while back and I was unware - and didn't check - that there wasn't a Waitrose hereabouts. Fortunately it's good for mail order.

Soldato
What were the original fitters thinking about when they fitted that first hob and took finish off even though it didn't show..

Do you have to select the ring you want then use the same heat control for each one - Our's is the same and it's a PITA when something is boiling and you turn it down only to find it's the wrong ring. Then panic sets in.

Anyway you will find it's head a shoulders above anything else - I have a smart meter and am quite inpressed at how little energy they use.
:)

Soldato
Notice the stuff on the left edge? That was previously covered.
can you get some epoxy filler of some kind to rebuild the chip ?
looks nice though .
( I can see that if they had a small amount to shave off the inside of the aperture, it was going to be a difficult call ... power sander ?, too narrow for a jig-saw. )

if you temporarily lift/move a pan does the ring turn off, for safety ? I've seen that reported as a general induction hob annoyance.

[

I have a smart meter and am quite inpressed at how little energy they use.
it's a fallacy V

interesting analysis I saw ... so induction is not so much more efficient than ceramic/resistance-ring
it was a myth.
52219543387_f223deb9e3_o_d.jpg
]

Soldato
OP
can you get some epoxy filler of some kind to rebuild the chip ?

I could but really, I can't be bothered. The whole side is significantly discoloured.

it's a fallacy V

Perhaps it's not a fallacy in my case. The time taken to heat a pot of water is vastly less, for example. But that's probably due less to the type of cooker and more to the old one just being rubbish.

Associate
if you temporarily lift/move a pan does the ring turn off, for safety ? I've seen that reported as a general induction hob annoyance.
They do, but there is a delay of several seconds so that just lifting a pan off the ring does not instantly turn the hob off. On our Neff hob it is quite a long time before the hob turns off.

Soldato
OP
A little update. The cooking aspect is wonderful, but upthread I was told to beware scratching the glass. Ironically, it's the metal surround that is getting scratched.

Back
Top Bottom