This can't be right surely!!!

Associate
Ok, i'll have to be careful here not to break OCUK forum rules, but i would like your opinions on something.

I was looking for media center PCs on the net and i found this one from a well known company. the spec of the PC is below -

# Intel Pentium 4 521 Processor
# 2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB Cache
# 512MB DDR RAM
# 200GB Hard Disk Drive
# Multi-Format Dual Layer DVD-RW Drive
# 256MB ATI X300HM Graphics
# Built-in Digital TV Tuner + Remote
# 802.11g Wireless Network Ready
# Wireless Keyboard + Mouse
# Microsoft Windows XP Media Center

mce_pc.jpg

This is not a recon item, it is new, with 12 month warranty, ready to work, all that is needed is a suitable monitor. here is the odd thing.

PRICE - £199.97 inc VAT!!!!!!!!!

Now normally, if i saw this spec at this price, i would instantly disregard it as a scam, but like i said, it was from a well known reputable retailer on there own site, ready to be bought online there and then.

i can't see how this can be making a profit, does anyone else know anything about this.

Obviously i will not be revealing the name of the retailer, i would not want to be breaking the OCUK Prime Directive :D :D

Soldato
gopher its most prob a typo by the person who uploaded the info on the retailers website.....

I just hope all the retailer has to honour the sales already made and of course the employee doesnt get sacked :D

Soldato
Has to be a typo I would guess - or they are trying to sucker you into costly upgrades lol ( I wouldnt touch XP with 512Mb ram, let alone with MCE extensions)

ajm

ajm

Associate
But it does say Temporarily Out of Stock meaning that they might be getting some more in. :)

Soldato
FrankJH said:
Has to be a typo I would guess - or they are trying to sucker you into costly upgrades lol ( I wouldnt touch XP with 512Mb ram, let alone with MCE extensions)

You don't need >512MB to watch/record freeview, listen to music/view pictures etc. in the Media Centre interface.

Associate
yeh i thaught saying 512ddr wasnt enough was a bit harsh tasks like that arnt really memory intense now decoding interlacing and that sort of crap then i would agree with his statement

Soldato
Fair enough - I have just found XP with all the gloss dog slow with only 512mb, and thats just using windows without the added bits of MCE (I admit I dont know whether MCE adds that much from a performance perspective ) but minimum for XP for me has always been 1GB

Ok if you turn off all the glossy menu's and transitions it performs better but horses for courses as they say

Soldato
bad news guys, went in and had words with what i was told was the manager (staff referal, i didn't ask for him) and he told me that the product was being discontinued, hence the stupidly low price to shift the stock.

and i was hoping to pick one up too :(

Back
Top Bottom