This 'sugar tax' crap is doing my head in!

Soldato
Bars and fast food restaurants all around me are ditching full fat soft drinks left right and centre in favour of sugar free alternatives, but aren't telling you until you've already paid.

I can't stand the taste of sugar free stuff, so I don't buy it for a reason.

Subway was the most recent for me.

Has anyone else experienced a similar 'issue'?

Soldato
OP
Ask them what version they stock prior to ordering? I currently do the opposite when I ask for the sugar free version usually.

I would do usually, but it's been happening at my 'regulars' (including pubs). So I'm used to having full fat. One pub I went to changed my drink twice, after taking it back and explaining it tasted strange, before they admitted to not stocking full fat anymore.

I'm not a fizzy drinker really, only when I have a meal.

Today at Subway, they wouldn't swap the dispensed drink for a bottle, or even give me a water to have. I didn't end up drinking anything, but I'd blinking paid £1.30 for it.

If you ask for a Coke and they give you a Diet Coke then ask for a refund.

Now, if you ask and they say "sorry sir, we only have Diet..." then that's different. I prefer Pepsi Max and rarely have full-fat sodas because I'd rather not 200 calories in a drink :p

I was at the dispensing machine when I asked if they no longer did full fat, and he said "Oh yeah we don't because they're not healthy". I did ask for a refund but he said he couldn't. I think had it not have been a cold Sunday, I'd have argued with him, but I just wanted to get home.

Soldato
OP
the thing with governments is if there are 2 options to solve a problem: 1 that works and 1 that makes money, they'll always take the second option.

take smoking- they could have banned it outright or raised the age to buy cigarettes by 1 year every year, but instead they chose to go down the tax it to death route.

Contrary to popular belief, governments do have to make money.

Though, they could spend less of it...

Soldato
OP
My issue is taking away the decision making from people. If you choose to drink yourself fat, your problem.

I got stung again the other day in Pizza Hut - ordered a refillable dispensed pepsi, and got pepsi max. Wasn't told this until I took a sip and asked them.

If you're gonna get rid of it, bloomin' tell me!

Back
Top Bottom