Thought USB 3 Was Fast?

Associate
Fitted the extra 2 USB 3 ports to the motherboard, ran HDTune this time and I get 29.8mbps read rate. Plugged it back into motherboard tested again and got the same 29.8. All my files transferred over night so will just bin the caddy lol

Soldato
but with lots of smaller files its drops, like yours :

so i would do a few tests with different file sizes. i only really transfer 500mb + files so i benifit, if you only do small ones then eSATA looks the way to go.

Soldato
its not the the mobo, its just USB 3 only picks up speed with large files, as my vids show.

But your file transfer still dosen't drop into the low 30s(usb2.0 speeds). That tells me either the motherboard or caddy isnt in usb3.0 mode with "thunderflash". So its time for process of elimination if he wants to solve the prob

Soldato
if you watch the second vid it goes down to the 20s for the smaller files.
best thing i can suggest, is again, just move over small files, then medium, then large and see if the speeds increase the bigger the files. mine does.

Soldato
I used crystaldiskmark and tried different sizes it goes between 29 and 33 mbps for sequential read and slightly less for writes. Will just leave it to run over night I think. There was another 2 ports that can be put into a slot on the case and attached to a header so will try that tomorrow.

I can more or less guarantee something is running in usb2.0 for "thundeflash" to get this result, as my usb2.0 hdds never goes over 34mb/s copying stuff, accept at the beginning for a few secs, but thats microsoft for you:D

Associate
Isnt it the calculation of the speed is the Average speed of ALL the files and not a bandwidth test.

Not much that can be done except transferring SSD to SSD.

Associate
its not the the mobo, its just USB 3 only picks up speed with large files, as my vids show.

Ah wait a minute, erm just tried moving 1 film (1.5gb) from my main storage drive to the usb 3 external drive and got 120mbps for 1st 3 quarters then down to 30mbps for the last quarter. Then moving the same file back from usb 3 drive to internal storage I get 31mbps. So the benchmarks don't really work as such?

Last edited:
Soldato
hmmm.............normally they do, but i prefer to use real life tests rather than benchmarks. if it works with the larger files then all is well, usb 3 just seems poor on small files.

Associate
it is very strange paradisiac. the figures in windows say 120mbps etc but because the last bit goes slow it doesn't really make any difference. I just moved a 950mb file from Internal sata to the USB 3 sata HDD and it took 21 seconds, moving it back again took 33 seconds. My math isn't good but I think I am write in saying that's 45mbps and 29mbps?

Back
Top Bottom