Thoughts on employers potentially having to offer 4-day week?

Man of Honour
I think this could be quite a divisive topic. But clearly this won't be applicable to a lot of industries, but for a lot of office workers this may be an option that the employer may have to accept from my understanding. The government said that it will not force employers to introduce a four-day week - do you think this option will actually come into force? Giving the people the choice legally to do it and worked condensed hours?

Would you take them up on it? I can see this causing a lot of issues with control freak leadership, and let's face it people do more than their allocated hours already.

I think if I could do a 4 day week I'd be all over it.

That's a possible issue in some salaried roles, in some cases it would essentially be like giving people an additional 50 days of vacation time.

Also working longer hours in one go can be less productive per hour worked. I mean we could take it further and say why not a 3-day week if people want that - work 12.5 hours per day for 3 days and still get in the 37.5 hours total per week + 4 days off in between. But those hours all at once probably won't be as productive as if they were spread out.

I sort of agree. I tend to do little 30-50 min sprints of work then lose steam and distract myself with other tasks.

I think we've all seen presenteeism and bums on seats policies which don't actually equate to productivity or outcomes.

That said if people remain as productive as they currently are regardless of social media browsing, smoke breaks or extended lunches in compressed hours maybe that time off may help their behaviours and health over time and become more productive??

Who knows.

I get your point though. I make a concerted effort not to do more than I'm paid for (I'm salaried with no bonus or overtime or TOIL). Sometimes though you get caught up in stuff you enjoy.

I think if I could chose the day I had off and it didn't have to be the same day every day that would be pretty good. But let's face it most people would choose Friday!

I already Work about 11-12 hours a day, albeit not continuous and very flexible . I would a 4 day week but that would simply mean cutting 20% working hours. The real issue is finding the contact hours with other teams, different time zones etc. 4-8pm are super busy.

I rather see a 6 day week with less hours being more practical . To some extent i already do that, stoping early at 6pm or taking a 90minute lunch (normally a working lunch) and catching up on Sunday

I'd definitely not want to do 6 days. No one ever sticks to their hours religiously unless you're on shift and hourly paid. I live for my time off. :cry:

On top of that we have all these companies telling everyone they need to return back to the office now, taking away WFH.

Yes this is happening in public sector a lot. However more companies are also pushing this now. I can see why it's good to collaborate with people face to face but turning up to an office to sit on teams calls all day is pointless.

In my current employer I've made it very clear if I'm travelling over 2.5hrs to the office I'm not going to be on teams. Speak to me face to face else I'm not interested as the premise of being in the office is to be collaborative.

I applied.for a 4 day condensed week but they refused it.

Back
Top Bottom