thoughts on this?

Associate
just testing out making websites

(edit, removed until i do more)

negative or positive comments, i already know the design of each page varies slightly, and the page size needs addressing, but for my first website is what i want you to base your comments on, running off my home pc right now, and has a forum working too, im not asking anyone to sign up as its just for testing right now, thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
Some of the images could do with being smaller as they take a long time to load.
On the homepage, for example, the image background to the title "Inglorious Exiles" is 1100x825. On my screen, it gets resized and displayed at 389x264 but the browser still has to download the full size image before it can resize it appropriately. You wouldnt lose any quality by resizing beforehand (in fact, it would probably look better as photoshop will be better at resizing images than a browser.)

Soldato
Its not bad but it doesn't fit in to well with todays design, and reminds me of sites from the early 2000s.

I would personally recommend you download bootstrap, and install it (the set up is clear and straightforward). Then use that to design your site, it will sort out a lot of the high level template so you don't have any issues with page sizes, and gives you a lot of well styled components for free and minimal effort.

http://getbootstrap.com/getting-started/

Take a look at the CSS/compenets to see just how simple it is to drop in anything into your site. e.g. a new nav menu.

Associate
I'd very strongly recommend looking into the fundamentals of HTML and CSS rather than using a creator-type tool.

CodeAcademy has a really great starter course that would be perfect: http://www.codecademy.com/tracks/web

As you progress through the course, it should become clear why you were having issues with getting things aligned and matching in your test site.

Back
Top Bottom