• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Threadripper coolers question

Associate
So I have the 1950X on order and the Zenith mobo, I note that the CPU does not include a cooler.

Will there be a retail version available with an included cooler?

If not, I would normally go with a Noctua, but i'm tempted to try a decent AIO cooler.

Which are the best performing AIO coolers.

Im looking at https://www.overclockers.co.uk/nzxt-kraken-x62-aio-water-cooling-unit-280mm-hs-01c-nx.html

Is that one any good? Any other recommendations?

Oh, and I have this case https://www.overclockers.co.uk/nzxt-phantom-enthusiast-usb3.0-full-tower-case-black-ca-023-nx.html

Be nice if it would fit in there!

Cheers,

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yes, well, I might go for the NZXT Kraken 240mm. It's says it's TR4 compatible.

Maybe I'll just wait for the Noctua solution to appear. Hopefully before or on release day!
Thanks for the suggestions!

Associate
This vagueness is why I haven't preordered TR.

There won't be a retail box with included cooler.

It's a 180W TDP chip, so needs a lot of cooling. I would go for an AIO as a minimum, if doing air cooling you need something chunky like the NH-D15.

However, because of the drip drip drip of info we don't know much. AMD haven't allowed much to leak out on cooler compatibility etc.

We know they are including an Asetek bracket, but we haven't seen performance results, and really the coverage of the dies is a little worrying.

I think we'll see new coolers with larger coldplates, we should know more tomorrow.

Soldato
It's a 180W TDP chip, so needs a lot of cooling. I would go for an AIO as a minimum, if doing air cooling you need something chunky like the NH-D15.
Noctua have stated they won't be supporting TR on any existing coolers (that doesn't mean they aren't capable, of course some of them are but you will need to make your own bracket).

Annoyingly EK have jumped on the bandwagon and none of the existing CPU blocks will be getting TR4 brackets.

OcUK Staff
Aio 240 is absolute minimum with mounting ring for Asetek oem coolers coming with the CPUs.

I will show a video of the Temps etc etc on these coolers tomorrow. With TR you benefit from better cooling and high quality paste.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I'f you're doing a custom loop, the EK and XSPC TR4 blocks are now avail for pre-order on OCUK - prob have to wait another 10 days till til you can get your hands on one though.

Soldato
I'f you're doing a custom loop, the EK and XSPC TR4 blocks are now avail for pre-order on OCUK - prob have to wait another 10 days till til you can get your hands on one though.

Not done a custom loop before, could be an option, guessing a 360 rad should be enough for the TR and two 1080 non Ti cards.

Associate
Not done a custom loop before, could be an option, guessing a 360 rad should be enough for the TR and two 1080 non Ti cards.
Depends, if you're overclocking anything it will get toastie, I'd throw in another 240 minimum if you've got the space, the big TR chips will kick out some serious heat in their stride.
Josh.

Back
Top Bottom