Thunderbolt 3 NVME 40Gbps enclosures?

Soldato
Hi all, looking for one of these for a fast nvme drive - using a macbook pro - I've had a google and a look around, but nothing is standing out as a good option, I'm looking for an empty drive enclosure for a 3000mb/2700mb nvme drive.

What do you guys have if you have one of these? Ideally the cheaper the better as well!

I can find external drives with the hard drive already in, but seen 2tb nvmes at that speed for £280 now, which is a bargain.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

External Nvme's are a bit pointless if you ask me, especially if the devices your using it with dont even have a nvme drive to begin with so you're just bottlenecking

Soldato
OP
External Nvme's are a bit pointless if you ask me, especially if the devices your using it with dont even have a nvme drive to begin with so you're just bottlenecking

Well, the macbook pro does have an nvme, because its read writing at nearly 3gb/sec & the thunderbolt 3 port on it, also can handle that bandwidth, so no bottle necking id have thought.....

Also I want to edit multi stream 4k off the drive........and £280 for 2TB external is a lot cheaper than apples 2tb! lol, also my current mbp is only 512gb so not enough space for the data really,

So yeah cost, no bottle necks and high speed drive needs is why im after one.

Soldato
I use a Samsung X5 - what's interesting is it's fairly easy to take apart and put a bigger drive in. Then eBay the smaller one....and it's not that terrible. 400 quid for a 1Tb is a bit uncomfortable, but it is furiously quick, very similar to the internal in my iMac Pro.

Soldato
I suspect the bottleneck idea comes from if you have a 1GB/s internal drive and a 2GB/s external you can only write out as fast as you can read, at 1GB/s. Probably.

If you're using FCPX just on the external though - with the library setup appropriately - that won't come in to play however, obvs.

Soldato
I suspect the bottleneck idea comes from if you have a 1GB/s internal drive and a 2GB/s external you can only write out as fast as you can read, at 1GB/s. Probably.

If you're using FCPX just on the external though - with the library setup appropriately - that won't come in to play however, obvs.

But thunderbolt 3 is 40gbps

EDIT:
AHHHHH I see where this is going, sounds like it's NVMe internal so hes all good, I mis read that part

Soldato
OP

Internal drive is 2.7gb/s not 1 :)

Soldato
OP
I know? I was just using the 1:2 as an example?

I've a room full of the things!

Oh well yeah I know you do! Lol super jel :p wish I could have the latest 2019 8 core mbp but could only afford to buy it once so I'll get the refreshed chassis when it's out....I'm hoping they will prioritise cooling performance like they have in the mac pro

Back
Top Bottom