Tight VNC on Debian stable

Associate
I've just installed Debian 3.1 on an old Pentium III here. Before I move it into its permanent location (physically hard to access) I want to get a VNC server running on it. I've tried installing TightVNC via Synaptic but when I try and connect to it using the the TightVNC server on my Windows PC it fails to connect. Any ideas why?

Also am I right in thinking that TightVNC will make a Java client available on the web, and if so how do I access it? This could be very useful for hours spent at school in the morning waiting for registration.. :)

Thanks, null :)

Soldato
login to it and do what you need to do, the only real advantages of having VNC is that you can see the graphical interface, might be best checking the readme or tightvnc's website on how to set it up

Associate
OP
I'm a newb at Linux though so really don't want to use command line. No matter how sad it is, the harsh reality is I will plod back to Windows if faced with a command line - I simply don't know what to do. Perhaps one day if I can first of all learn to use a GUI. Also I've tried the TightVNC documentation, it seems I have to install it 'manually' as it were (I'm comparing to the click click installers on Windows).

Associate
OP
<thread revival>

I got a pair of 1ghz P3s for it off eBay and have it all working (in terms of hardware).

I had to reformat the drive to install Windows (so I could stress test, check temperatures etc. 'cus I needed an OS I was familiar with). I've now reinstalled this time with Debian testing.

Problem is, I've installed phpsysinfo but it's only reporting one CPU (http://wind.piggott.me.uk/phpsysinfo/). What's gone wrong here?

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply however I have already resolved the VNC issue and that's all running smoothly now. What I would like help with though is finding out what's up with phpsysinfo's reportings.

Back
Top Bottom