Tiling directly onto plaster

Caporegime
OP
First row of tiles done on back wall.

K6H11yrh.jpg

Hardest cuts of the room done, with a Marcrist diamond grinder blade and tile hole saws.

Didn't have a good time with my half-arsed batten so had to prop up the lateral tiles with clamps.

Caporegime
OP
Looks good! Is that just a blade for an angle grinder then? Where the cuts ok/not too rough?
Yeah angle grinder blade, Marcrist CK650:

0Rmvpq7h.jpg

Really good cuts in my opinion, especially once polished with a diamond pad. I also use a wet sponge near the grinder when cutting. I'll try and take a photo of the edge next time.

I found free handing it on a pencil line was the best way to get a straight line.

All the cuts will be hidden by silicone / trim / other tiles' factory edge anyway though so doesn't have to be perfect.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah angle grinder blade, Marcrist CK650:

0Rmvpq7h.jpg

Really good cuts in my opinion, especially once polished with a diamond pad. I also use a wet sponge near the grinder when cutting. I'll try and take a photo of the edge next time.

I found free handing it on a pencil line was the best way to get a straight line.

All the cuts will be hidden by silicone / trim / other tiles' factory edge anyway though so doesn't have to be perfect.

Cool looks good! Aye I don't think I'm going to do my bathroom but my try my first time at tiling in my utility room.

Caporegime
OP
Looks great. What where the main struggles you had?

Im impressed with the tiling. Mine still hasn't been done and I'm getting a tiler in for tiling
Thanks.

Main struggles were:

- Waste planning (both toilet and basin) was inadequate leading to extra work.
- Slow cuts with the grinder (really didn't want to have to buy a decent wet saw) so the tiling took ages.
- Getting the wall-hung toilet to nip up against the tiles properly. I followed the instructions and measurements to the mm but eventually found I had to wind the bolts in 5mm further than they said to get it to be secure / tight.

There was also almost a ginormous **** up with the flush plate as I left slightly too much of a gap between the flush plate mount and the tile cut on the left side, but luckily the flush plate just about hides it.

Soldato
I was going to say your setting out could be better, But I think you pretty much nailed it. You ideally want a uniform top and bottom/Left right And whilst its not uniform to the RHS. Above the toilet area with having the shelf means the bottom wall tiles pretty much match the top above the shelf.

So good job.
Only thing I would do now though is get some grout sealer behind the toilet..... You know. Coz of blokes.

Back
Top Bottom