Tiling kitchen advice - best tile trim and way to edge /trim external 3 sided corners for tiles?

Soldato
Couple tiling queries below

I want to 3 way edge some external corners in my kitchen when I do the tiling and wonder what's the best way to do this?

The red will be where the 3sides of tile meet and the blue will be a new replacement white quartz upstand and white quartz worktop. There will also be a white quartz window board (so all the bottom is covered and saves me a lot of tiling!)
LcZ2qYe.jpeg

Other pics in progress
mTIE56h.jpeg

The wall with the hob is going to be all quartz
Jajlfgv.jpeg

Before pic here
S8lNVAM.jpeg

What type of trim would you recommend? Ive mitred trim before for internal corners, I think i used brushed stainless but to be honest it scratched quite easily during install/adhesive removal. Is it better to use no trim and "cover with a small section of grout above? That's what my tiler did in utility.

Also what layout would you recommend for these tiles? Initially I thought parquet but a tiler rightly suggested it's not a big enough feature /space to make it worthwhile. I was thinking straight horizontal (5 rows to take me slightly above existing tile line and have zero cuts)

As you can see there are some sections where around 1mm of plaster is gone but if I use 6mmx6mm trowel (so 3mm adhesive beds) this should get over it?

Using these tiles with black/charcoal grout

Getting these quartz worktops if interested

Soldato
OP
Black grout :( make sure you've got plenty of sponges :D

2 options - most decent tile trim have corner pieces like this

or mitre the vertical and just trim the top
When you say mitre the vertical I assume you mean mitre the two edges and bring vertical up yo it?

I wanted flat trim similar to this that I've done before... Also black grout but at least was flat tiles so couldn't get grout caught in the tiles

2Khe51K.jpeg

JRJ

JRJ

Associate

Couple of images in post 6 here.

Essentially the same as you've trimmed the sink tiles but the external corners in the kitchen would be mitred.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

Couple of images in post 6 here.

Essentially the same as you've trimmed the sink tiles but the external corners in the kitchen would be mitred.
Ah cool, yea as you say similar to as you have indicated on this website

Dumb question but is 3mm adhesive sufficient 6*6 trowel? I think that should get over it all even with the 1mm or so missing plaster.

Previously I used tile level master clips butpart of me is tempted to just level with standard cheap spacers. The tiles I'm going to use are 75x400mm so small sized. I may keep with the level master system, just slightly put off after the clips knocking out a tile when removing them when I did my last bathroom wall

Last edited:

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Ah cool, yea as you say similar to as you have indicated on this website

Dumb question but is 3mm adhesive sufficient 6*6 trowel? I think that should get over it all even with the 1mm or so missing plaster.

Previously I used tile level master clips butpart of me is tempted to just level with standard cheap spacers. The tiles I'm going to use are 75x400mm so small sized. I may keep with the level master system, just slightly put off after the clips knocking out a tile when removing them when I did my last bathroom wall
6x6 trowel should be fine on decent flat walls, use the flat side of the trowel to backfill any missing plaster and trowel over after, back butter the tiles and you should have a 4mm ish bed.
I know a couple of places do smaller levelling systems (Nicobond and Topps) tile coming away wouldn't be the leveling system that would be poor bond between the tile and wall.

Soldato
OP
Anyone mitred their tile edges with just a 4/5" dry ginder blade? Been thinking about it but not sure if that would be excessive effort (or possibly without chipping if I don't use a wet saw?)

Last edited:
Soldato
Dont tile it... use the quarts upstand and plaster the bit you want to tile... Not sure i can picture a quartz upstand AND tiles without it looking a bit Meh!!

Soldato
OP
Dont tile it... use the quarts upstand and plaster the bit you want to tile... Not sure i can picture a quartz upstand AND tiles without it looking a bit Meh!!
I know what youre saying but there's a good example of this tile in porcelain superstores reviews. It will be relatively small section of tiles anyway and it hides any undulations in the plaster work.

It will be difficult to plaster the small sections and blend it in. Certainly if I used my usual plasterer hed make a mess of it. :D

Tiles are also easier to clean

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Imo tiles look.better than bare painted wall above worktops, upstand or not.
I think its a personal preference think, but given I'd have a hell of a time trying to skim that tidy And Ive already got all the tiling materials I'm going to tile it.

Have you ever tried mitre ing tiles with just a grinder? And/or tips on how to grinder porcelain without chipping edges (e.g. Go fast /slow/which side?)

Soldato
You could try having the tile face down and just feathering away the tile edge on an angle with the grinder, it takes a while but can work if you only have a few to do. If you touch the decorative surface it will chip but a diamond pad can remedy many of those.

Soldato
OP
You could try having the tile face down and just feathering away the tile edge on an angle with the grinder, it takes a while but can work if you only have a few to do. If you touch the decorative surface it will chip but a diamond pad can remedy many of those.
Do you have any recommended diamond pads for porcelain? Yes I know what you mean about feathering out a mitre, it'll be about 20tiles so I'll see if I want to do it! (about 5 per row and 4 external corners)

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
I think its a personal preference think, but given I'd have a hell of a time trying to skim that tidy And Ive already got all the tiling materials I'm going to tile it.

Have you ever tried mitre ing tiles with just a grinder? And/or tips on how to grinder porcelain without chipping edges (e.g. Go fast /slow/which side?)
If you're on Instagram take a look at HHtiling and Hudstilingservices both have great videos showing the technique, it's not as difficult as it looks.

Soldato
Do you have any recommended diamond pads for porcelain? Yes I know what you mean about feathering out a mitre, it'll be about 20tiles so I'll see if I want to do it! (about 5 per row and 4 external corners)
I just have a set of 4/5 different grits from Amazon myself, they do sell them at pro tiler tools etc but a single block was more expensive than 5 generic ones, works fine for me. A quick rub of every cut with the pad gets rid of any jagged edges.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Worktops now templated. Would people bother to filler holes in plaster (~2mm) where near windows or just use a bigger trowel (e.. G 8x8mm for 4 mm adhesive rather than 6x6 for the rest?)

I posted on reddit and they suggested filling up with adhesive to get it flush and letting it dry, then adhesive over it but I thought that would be worse than straight onto the tiles?

rzcFd1q.jpeg

e.g. Section by this window on the right will be out of flush with the rest
dGL3z1n.jpeg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I suppose I didn't do this man job, but there was a lot of prep work putting a timber frame under a 20kg ceramic sink!

Im sure some readers here like seeing this stuff too

The Before, it was dark in the room and painted the cupboards (this was around 18months ago)
rxUEAdv.jpeg

jC1PtBq.jpeg

The after. Its quite novel having quartz window boards also. The final finish will be tiled above the up stands which will hide the mess...

Currently its only been primered
qfl4K6W.jpeg

VpCkBe9.jpeg

Quite cool watching the pneumatic grippers pull the units together whilst the epoxy sets
Hd4WX5w.jpeg

The backsplash behind the hob they're going to have to redo the entire section :X theyve done the cut outs wrong when templating and means electrical outlets would never fit!
s8loyu1.jpeg

I had to rush 2 complete coats of ceiling paint as the section which had a leak + leak stain didn't "blend" well. So recoated the entire thing. At least I had help...
au6lI4a.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom