Time for fuel cell / hydrogen car?

Soldato
its brilliant isnt it, and a nice reminder that for all the things the uk is doing really badly, our energy transition is still better than most. A lot more still needs to be done of course and it saddens me that this government no longer seems motivated..... now maybe i am naive but that was one area i did actually feel bojo was actually committed to. it was his idea (or at least he backed it) for ULEZ (flawed tho some think it is) and i think he was more behind the energy transition than Sunak.

rather than plunge pricing however it would be nice to have piled all that excess into making H2 however (albeit not for burning in cars, not until we always have this kind of over abundance anyway). I know it isnt as simple as just "lets make some H2 on a massive industrial scale" but long term i think something needs to be put in place to allow us to make use of periods of a glut of green energy.

i am sure there is a technical reason for it but what does dissapoint me a bit is that despite all that, we still have some coal generation going, which seems bonkers... (albeit only 1% but still)

Last edited:
Soldato
We are burning coal because it’s cheaper than some gas stations, that’s only a recent thing due to the energy price spike.

They are also burning down the coal reserves before they shut that plant down for good later this year.

Last edited:
Soldato
now I will admit I have read all the anti EV "news" articles and it is true they are often huge a misrepresentation, an over exaggeration of edge cases or just flat out lies. If people here believe this is the case here then it's a fair point however
9 years after launch of this is the state of hydrogen I just can't see how anyone can say with a straight face that H2 is the better solution for EVs because the charging structure isn't ready for EVs. the EV structure has NEVER been this bad and that includes for people who can't charge at home.

Soldato
The public EV charging network has never been better either. I can hand on heart say I’ve never not been able to get charged.

I’ve never had problems with charging apps either which is the other thing people seems to lose their minds over, they just tend to work. Sure I’ve probably got 16 of them installed on my phone but they are just tucked into a folder out the way.

Associate
I don't really follow car news much, so unsure if this article about a newly invented 400 HP direct injection hydrogen engine is a genuine ground breaking achievement or just over excited hyperbole?

The latest 400 hp water engine: better than all hydrogen and the end of electricity https://www.ecoticias.com/en/400-hp-hydrogen-engine-water/1118/
It says water engine but when you read the article it runs on hydrogen.
To create that hydrogen cleanly you need electricity. :D
But why let facts get in the way of a good story.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't really follow car news much, so unsure if this article about a newly invented 400 HP direct injection hydrogen engine is a genuine ground breaking achievement or just over excited hyperbole?

The latest 400 hp water engine: better than all hydrogen and the end of electricity https://www.ecoticias.com/en/400-hp-hydrogen-engine-water/1118/
Completely glossing over how much electricity is needed to create the hydrogen this engine runs on in the first place.

Soldato
It’s pretty tragic really.

People happily ignore all the other emissions too with hydrogen as they get CO2 focused to suit the narrative. That’s bound to happen when you take the best bit out of hydrocarbons; the carbon!

Last edited:
Soldato
It says water engine but when you read the article it runs on hydrogen.
To create that hydrogen cleanly you need electricity. :D
But why let facts get in the way of a good story.
there was a film donkeys years ago (it was a comedy I think) where a conman tried to sell a car powered by a water engine.

Back
Top Bottom