Time for price cut - maybe?

Soldato
OP
This. I recently upgraded from my ageing iPhone 6 Plus and Canon 550d to the iPhone X, (so the cost to change was more like £500 than £1,000). I hardly ever feel compelled to take the DSLR out and about with me and the camera on the iPhone X is beyond amazing. Blisteringly fast and sharp photos every single time.

The new Samsung Galaxy 9 looks impressive too, with variable aperture control. Yeah, a decent DSLR is always going to be better than a camera but cameras in phones are getting better with every iteration.

I managed to snap my iPhone X up for £960 with an Argos promotion, and the fact I've not felt compelled to upgrade my laptop in four years speaks volumes. Changing times, it seems. In some respects, £960 speaks as good value. It's not just a phone anymore.

Yeah, you pay a premium for Apple products. In other news, water is wet. But the difference isn't all that great. It's only 14% more expensive than the new Galaxy 9 Plus (and I only paid 10% more).

The S9 plus has a larger screen size. If you comparing the X to the new Samsung then it should have been against the S9 which is £739 - that's quite a saving. Not sure about your maths either as you initially had to pay for the other items. I would comment that if you rarely use your laptop anymore than you are probably one of those people that doesn't need a computer anyway. There's no way I could use a phone (iPhone/Android) as a substitute for a Mac/PC etc.

Hope you enjoy your new purchase.

Soldato
The S9 plus has a larger screen size. If you comparing the X to the new Samsung then it should have been against the S9 which is £739 - that's quite a saving. Not sure about your maths either as you initially had to pay for the other items. I would comment that if you rarely use your laptop anymore than you are probably one of those people that doesn't need a computer anyway. There's no way I could use a phone (iPhone/Android) as a substitute for a Mac/PC etc.

Hope you enjoy your new purchase.

Cheers Faustus.

I didn't realise the S9 Plus was so huge, hard to imagine a need for the Galaxy Note! Having said that I was merely comparing the two flagship phones. I don't know what the internals would be for the S9 Plus vs the iPhone X but I'd imagine there'd be similar in terms of, say, a Geekbench score, than the S9 standard and iPhone X. I really don't know?!

In terms of laptop use, I use it daily for Word/Excel/browsing the web/light apps but the time I spend on it has dropped dramatically. I would say almost definitely that if I didn't use a phone so much for day to day use (or should that be hour to hour?) then I'd have a much better/newer laptop.

I did have to pay for the other items but they are now a sunk cost. And their uses were both replaced to similar things. Sure, I could've sold the items on for circa £500 and bought anything else, but I'd still want a mobile phone and a camera device. No doubt if the iPhone X didn't have the sort of camera and power it does I wouldn't have bought it. The cost to change is what's important.

Nevertheless the percentile difference is, IMO, entirely minimal. At most it's what a night of drinking in your local city would set you back.

Soldato
OP
Nevertheless the percentile difference is, IMO, entirely minimal. At most it's what a night of drinking in your local city would set you back.

Well in my case then that would be 'zero', unless councils have started to charge for H20 from the water fountain. :)

Back
Top Bottom