Time to buy a new computer - ~£900 to spend

Associate
The time has finally arrived, the money is in the bank, and I want to play Oblivion at more than a slideshow. The first question is - should i upgrade? Should i wait for AM2? Will socket 939 prices tumble after 6/6/06? Also, is the current technology able to play Oblivion well?

Anyway, these are my requirements:

1) I need a wireless network to link to my current PC
2) I need a 250Gb HDD to store my photos.
3) I have a monitor, printer, scanner etc.
4) I have ~£900 to spend but I could go up to £1100 - however I don't want to pay over the odds for the top end gear eg Radeon X1900 card

Any suggestions would be great.

G

Associate
OP
This is similar to what I thought would be a decent rig. A few questions though:

1) will a 450W PSU be enough to power that rig with a possible CPU/GPU overclock and a second HDD and DVD-ROM?

2) Do I need a couple more case fans?

3) Sound card?

Associate
OP
ACESHIGH said:
a 450w Antec PSU should be fine.

you can always add case fans if you feel its running too hot, but all should be ok at stock.

mobo has - AI Audio (8-channel Audio)
A8N-E has eight channels of audio output with Coaxial and optical S/PDIF connector designed to maximize your auditory experience. AI Audio also provides "Jack Sensing" and "UAJ" functions. "Jack Sensing" automatically detects and notifies user of any inappropriate connection. "UAJ" function enables both input and output functions each jacks, thus eliminates the confusion of Line-in, Line-out and Mic jacks once and for all!

That sounds like a decent mobo. Can anyone give me an idea of the quality of the onboard audio compared to say a cheap Soundblaster PCI card?

Also, will this onboard sound solution work with my digital cambridge soundworks speakers?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom