Time to replace Rog Swift PG278Q?

Associate
I've had a Asus Rog Swift PG278Q monitor (and a 'matching' Asus MG278 as 2nd monitor) for a while now, going on 5 years. Both running native 1440p. It was a premium gaming monitor 5 years ago, and still seems fine, but I'm thinking a newer 27" 1440p IPS panel would be better. Currently running a 1070, which will get replaced with either a 30 or 40 series card soon. probably a 4070 if availability/price is vaguely sensible on release.

So is there any reason to go with a newer 27" 1440p monitor, or hold off and go 4k when the new card arrives (but when will that be??)

Soldato
If playing games depicting nature proper wide gamut IPS monitors would give far more vibrant colours for foliage/vegeration, sky and water.
(sRGB was low end already five years ago)

For resolutions besides 3840x2160 being very costly for performance (~120% more pixels) and GPU there's also major difference in prices of monitors.
2560x1440 is the most competed resolution with plenty of choise.
Higher end 4K monitors cost lot even in 27" size and high end 32" models are very expensive.
FALD backlight for proper local dimming would be another price increase no matter the resolution.

Associate
OP
So what would be a decent replacement, idealy with similar styling if I'm keeping my MG278 as 2nd screen? I mostly play RPG so New World, EQ2 (which is ancient) etc, but have the occasional Doom Eternal or COD blast for a change.

Asus VG27AQ looks ok, but expensive (I don't mind expense but thinking it might get replaced by a 4k device in a few years time)
Samsung Odyssey G7 or Asus XG27WQ - curved, would be a nice change but needs to sit next to a non curved 2nd screen, might be a bit weird.
LG Ultragear - seems to be a bit midrange, might be ok for 2 years?
Any more suggestions?

Or just keep what I have for now?

Associate
I went from the PG278Q to an Alienware 34" IPS ultrawide. Nice upgrade in terms of colours, real estate and viewing angles but the Swift beat it for pixel response. Ultrawide is great for rpgs.

Caporegime
The Alienware AW3423DW OLED might be an option, the pixel response is top notch and it'd be a proper upgrade all-round for you. Only problem is the backlog means it's gonna be October before you can get one!

Soldato
I've had a Asus Rog Swift PG278Q monitor (and a 'matching' Asus MG278 as 2nd monitor) for a while now, going on 5 years. Both running native 1440p. It was a premium gaming monitor 5 years ago, and still seems fine, but I'm thinking a newer 27" 1440p IPS panel would be better. Currently running a 1070, which will get replaced with either a 30 or 40 series card soon. probably a 4070 if availability/price is vaguely sensible on release.

So is there any reason to go with a newer 27" 1440p monitor, or hold off and go 4k when the new card arrives (but when will that be??)
I went from that screen to a 38l ultrawide screen. No regrets at all

I haz 4090!
Don
I’ve had the same problem for years too mate. I have a PG278Q and a PG279Q and it’s basically perfect for me. I’ve tried ultrawides, couldn’t get on with them as I ended up moving the UI in to stop me getting neck ache from looking left to right, which basically made it a 27” anyways. :p

27” 1440p is my perfect resolution and size when sitting at my desk. I’ll only replace them when one comes along with the same size, resolution and response time as what I have now, but with OLED and HDR. I haven’t even bothered keeping up with monitor tech to see if that exists yet.

@montymint @Hilly @~Divine~Wind~ - if I discover from this thread that these exist I apologise. You already know what for.

Don
I’ve had the same problem for years too mate. I have a PG278Q and a PG279Q and it’s basically perfect for me. I’ve tried ultrawides, couldn’t get on with them as I ended up moving the UI in to stop me getting neck ache from looking left to right, which basically made it a 27” anyways. :p

27” 1440p is my perfect resolution and size when sitting at my desk. I’ll only replace them when one comes along with the same size, resolution and response time as what I have now, but with OLED and HDR. I haven’t even bothered keeping up with monitor tech to see if that exists yet.

@montymint @Hilly @~Divine~Wind~ - if I discover from this thread that these exist I apologise. You already know what for.
Thread ban.

Can't type for toffee
Don

And so it starts ... :p

Associate
OP
I've not tried an ultrawide, but I do like a 2 monitor setup anyway, one for playing the game on, and one for the ancillary stuff like ACT, browsers (youtube or TV on depending how engaging the game is on the other screen), discord etc etc. Having it all on one screen in windows should in theory give the same experience, but i'm not sure.

Anyway I'm not scratching my monitor replacement itch and will look at graphics card and processor for now instead.

Back
Top Bottom