Associate
So I just pulled the trigger on a well priced Ryzen 7 5800X3D CPU to replace my ageing Ryzen 5 3600 which got me thinking.. I'd love to upgrade my GPU as well, but I'm still running a 1080p 60hz monitor.
If I replace the 5700XT what is a good pairing for my new CPU and if I plan on moving to 1440p and 144hz can you also suggest a well priced monitor? Will my current PSU be OK for this setup?

Current specs:
CPU:
Ryzen 7 5800X3D (in the post!)
CPU cooler: Arctic Freezer esports duo
Ram: 32Gb Corsair DDR4 (3600Mhz)
Mobo: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
GPU: PowerColor RX 5700 XT Red Devil 8GB
PSU: 750W EVGA GQ Series

Games I play are pretty varied but include lots of AAA titles, MMOs, indie games and emulators. I also run a Quest 2 via PC link for VR titles. Just looking for the best bang for buck performance that will hopefully get me playing some of the newer games at higher resolutions and refresh rates. I've been stuck at 1080p & 60Hz for a long time now!

Maybe my old 5700XT still has some life in her? I've not installed the 5800X3D yet, but I suspect I will be greatly limited by the GPU now. If I'm updating the GPU I might as well get a new monitor too right?! Please justify me throwing more money at new computer components (!)

Help and input appreciated :D

Man of Honour
If you're staying at 1080p and are satisfied with 60 fps then I wouldn't bother, because people are still buying cards with similar performance for 1080p now (e.g. 6600 XT, 3060).

For 1440p/144 I'd consider something like a 4070, but it obviously depends on budget and your expectations, if you want to use ultra level detail and/or ray tracing in the latest games then that's a different story entirely and the more 'modest' options like a 6800 XT are unlikely to satisfy you, even though they're capable of 4K in most games.

Associate
OP
If you're staying at 1080p and are satisfied with 60 fps then I wouldn't bother, because people are still buying cards with similar performance for 1080p now (e.g. 6600 XT, 3060).

For 1440p/144 I'd consider something like a 4070, but it obviously depends on budget and your expectations, if you want to use ultra level detail and/or ray tracing in the latest games then that's a different story entirely and the more 'modest' options like a 6800 XT are unlikely to satisfy you, even though they're capable of 4K in most games.
Yes this is quite the quandary. I'm not really interested in ray tracing and I don't feel the need to push ultra on everything in newer games.. I just want things to run smoothly. I do notice a big increase in quality/clarity when I'm supersampling to 1440p on my current 1080p monitor so thought a monitor upgrade alongside a GPU upgrade might be good idea. Running anything over 60fps would be a bonus. I've never owned a FreeSync or G-Sync monitor but from what I understand there would still be a benefit even if I can't hit 144fps on a 144hz monitor? Of course having to upgrade my monitor as well as GPU is a big stretch but I'd be willing to shell out around £750 all in.

I wonder if the 5800X3D paired with my 5700XT would work OK using a 1440p monitor? That way I could purchase a new monitor, then upgrade the GPU a little later which might give me some more budget.

Man of Honour
I wonder if the 5800X3D paired with my 5700XT would work OK using a 1440p monitor? That way I could purchase a new monitor, then upgrade the GPU a little later which might give me some more budget.

Yeah, a 5700 XT can do 1440p, in older games it should be fine "as is", but you might need to use medium, or some other custom setting in newer ones.

Of course having to upgrade my monitor as well as GPU is a big stretch but I'd be willing to shell out around £750 all in.

I'm not sure how much you need to pay for a decent 1440p monitor, but I suspect this is not viable, since I'd really be looking at least a 6800 XT to make the upgrade worthwhile.

Soldato
Running a 1080p/60hz screen on the hardware you have is borderline criminal, upgrading your GPU before the monitor would be worse again.

At 1080P the 5700XT is still a very capable card, and as long as you turn some settings down in newer games it'll do well at 1440P. For older titles it'll still kick a lot of ass even at higher refresh 1440P gaming.

Associate
OP
Running a 1080p/60hz screen on the hardware you have is borderline criminal, upgrading your GPU before the monitor would be worse again.

At 1080P the 5700XT is still a very capable card, and as long as you turn some settings down in newer games it'll do well at 1440P. For older titles it'll still kick a lot of ass even at higher refresh 1440P gaming.
I think this is the direction I'll go in - Get a monitor first then save up and buy the best card I can for a reasonable price at the time.

I'm seeing some good 1440p 165Hz monitors for cheap (around £250-300) is that a reasonable price to pay and what do people think about curved monitors for gaming?

Man of Honour
I'm seeing some good 1440p 165Hz monitors for cheap (around £250-300) is that a reasonable price to pay and what do people think about curved monitors for gaming?

I know very little about monitors, but when I needed to make suggestions I'd look at the summaries hardware unboxed (youtube) make every so often and prad.de for more detailed reviews.

Associate
OP
I know very little about monitors, but when I needed to make suggestions I'd look at the summaries hardware unboxed (youtube) make every so often and prad.de for more detailed reviews.
I've watched quite a few videos (great channel !) and I ended up going with a Gigabyte M27Q Rev 2.0

Back
Top Bottom