Time to switch from Excel to Access?

Soldato
I think we are starting to push the limits of Excel now we just keep running into too many stumbling points.

Basically, we had a "Inbound Tracker", essentially a list of all the deliveries due (about 200-ish a day), that we update with arrival time, trailer number and fill% as the day goes on.

I updated it with other cells that update themselves, main one being "OK" if on time, or the delay in minutes if it is late. I put in conditional formatting so lates are in red, might be late (not in yet, but less than 30 mins late) in yellow. And cells for another department to update with why its late, ETA, stuff like that.

Problem is, I think, too many people edit or look at it. Excel likes to get data jumbled up if someone changes the sort order (say from delivery time to origin alphabetically) and just now, someone was looking at it, clicked save to update what I had input it and I lost over an hours work.

I'd like it to be a database, but I have limited knowledge of Access, and just enough SQL from a short module at uni on PHP. I don't mind learning as I go, I enjoy it, and if I don't nobody else will!

Would Access be viable? Ideally one database (one excel workbook a day at the moment, but one database would be far better for monitoring performance) with separate views for each department so they can only see/do what they need to.

I've gotten pretty good with VBA in excel, so not too worried about that.

Soldato
OP
Could keep the excel sheet, but change the access model.

If it's just "people looking at the sheet to see updates" then maybe something like:

- Power BI connector on your machine
- You maintain control of sheet
- All others look at Power BI that is refreshed every 15 minutes via website URL

You could have it in the same format with conditional formatting... but also do cool stuff like showing KPIs, deliveries on time today and so forth.

IT here are pretty strict, I won't get any additional software authorised unfortunately.

Soldato
OP
I'm surprised some people haven't used excel for word processing.
Excel is for numbers/finance and charting. Access is for data storage, reporting and data tracking. Word is for writing simple text documents :)

Literlery the only number in the sheet is how late the trailer is, with some conditional formatting. The Powers That Be don't seem understand that if they give me time to rebuild it in access, it will be more stable, less stress on the file server and finding historical data and reports for ONE database is far, far easier than trying to do it with a workbook per day.

Back
Top Bottom