Time to upgrade. (Gaming PC)

Associate
Bought my PC 9 years ago, and have finally decided to upgrade. Would appreciate any help at all.

Current build:

CPU: i5 760
GPU: Radeon 6950 2gb
MOBO: Asus P7P55D-E Intel P55
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB
HDD: Seagate Momentus XT 500GB Hybrid
PSU: Cooler Master GX 750W
Case: Antec 1200 Twelve Hundred
Monitors: BenQ XL2430T + Asus VG248QE

As you can see, I'm in serious need of a new PC. This is purely for gaming and nothing else. I don't have a budget but I was hoping to spend between 1500-1800. I've been reading a lot of the current threads on this forum and notice people saying the current set of GFX cards aren't ideal in terms of price/peformance and I'm willing to buy a lower end card for the time being and wait to upgrade when the new cards come out, if that is the case, I'm also fine in waiting on buying a better monitor along with a GFX card at a later date. The 1500-1800 is without a new monitor.

Thanks in advance. All help is appreciated.

Soldato
Welcome aboard.

Case would be reusable, unless you want new one.
Do you want "base platform" which would be good for longest time with only graphics card update, or more bang per buck platform for upgrading CPU to improved architecture one in two years?

Especially if wanting real monitor upgrade, 3840x2160 choise should increase during the year.
Unless Coronavirus has delayed further those already many times delayed monitors. (marketroids just keep rebranding same old again and again)

Associate
OP
Welcome aboard.

Case would be reusable, unless you want new one.
Do you want "base platform" which would be good for longest time with only graphics card update, or more bang per buck platform for upgrading CPU to improved architecture one in two years?

Especially if wanting real monitor upgrade, 3840x2160 choise should increase during the year.
Unless Coronavirus has delayed further those already many times delayed monitors. (marketroids just keep rebranding same old again and again)

I'm not looking to reuse the case. I'd prefer getting something to last, rather than upgrade in a couple of years (other than the gfx card). If that is the case with monitors, I have no issue waiting beyond the new gfx cards.

Thanks for the response.

Soldato
Actually "modern" cases are less lasting, because of lacking expandability/flexibility.
Unlike in disposable design fad cases you can add latest ports into any old case with 5.25" bays:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/akas...-front-bay-for-usb-2.0-3.0-3.1-hd-059-ak.html

Also that BS shroud only makes assembling PC harder with less open area.
Especially installing PSU would be like working in those darn pizza boxes of 20-25 years ago.
Myself couldn't really find anything to replace my soon 12 years old case, because of new ones having too many downsides.

So if you want actually lasting easy to work case, there isn't that much choise.

Associate
OP
Actually "modern" cases are less lasting, because of lacking expandability/flexibility.
Unlike in disposable design fad cases you can add latest ports into any old case with 5.25" bays:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/akas...-front-bay-for-usb-2.0-3.0-3.1-hd-059-ak.html

Also that BS shroud only makes assembling PC harder with less open area.
Especially installing PSU would be like working in those darn pizza boxes of 20-25 years ago.
Myself couldn't really find anything to replace my soon 12 years old case, because of new ones having too many downsides.

So if you want actually lasting easy to work case, there isn't that much choise.

The "something to last" comment was in reference to the PC in general, not specifically the case, but I'm not fully against keeping the case if there really isn't good options out there.

Back
Top Bottom