• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Time to upgrade my 9900k

Soldato
I've been running the 9900k under water at 5Ghz now since January 2020 and it's been flawless! However, the time has come to start considering an upgrade as like the E6600, the 9900k has more than outlived it's expected lifetime for me as sad as that is.

I've always been intel, however I'm open to opinions from other CPU manufacturers and my knowledge is 5 years out of date... Budget isn't a concern, but longevity, overclocking and decent temperature control is all required.

Let's see what ya'll suggest!

Overclocking is largely dead now and you are lucky to get a couple of hundred mhz these days. Avoid Intel as they have massive problems with their 13th and 14th gen cpu's degrading. The sensible money is on AMD and that means a 7800x3d if your main use is gaming.

I've been running the 9900k under water at 5Ghz now since January 2020 and it's been flawless! However, the time has come to start considering an upgrade as like the E6600, the 9900k has more than outlived it's expected lifetime for me as sad as that is.

I've always been intel, however I'm open to opinions from other CPU manufacturers and my knowledge is 5 years out of date... Budget isn't a concern, but longevity, overclocking and decent temperature control is all required.

Stick with what you have, especially if you're doing nothing more taxing than gaming.

Still run a 9900k in my main gaming rig, and Afterburner shows it still very underutilised compared to my graphics card (4070S @ 1440p).

I'm holding on for Zen6 or whatever Intel has at the time (2026).

Stick with what you have, especially if you're doing nothing more taxing than gaming.

Still run a 9900k in my main gaming rig, and Afterburner shows it still very underutilised compared to my graphics card (4070S @ 1440p).

It’s because the Nvidia driver doesn’t scale well across cores/threads and CPU utilisation is poor.

Dependant on games and settings going from a 9900k to 7800X3D can give a massive fps boost in some cases 100+ extra fps.

Arrow lake could be good and having not read any previews, I will be be perusing the reviews. It should be the 'tic' ala alder lake (which was great). The 11k, 13k and 14k have all been disappointments i.e. just cranking up the power.

I would hang on as stated above.

9900K is great for gaming. Get a new GPU instead.

What are your complete rig specs?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom