Tiny ITX cheap budget build, using old parts

Associate
Hi all,

Bit of a fun post, i have an ageing old 10 - 7 years old system that still works pretty well. however i was thinking when i replace it what should i do with some of the old parts. i'd like to try and make a little itx PC for the TV.
spend as little as possible to get something that works. so far the things i think i can still use are :

PNY GTX 980
Samsung 870 EVO SATA 2.5" Solid State Drive, 1TB (alreday have windows 10 on it )
Seasonic Focus Plus 850W 80 Plus Platinum Modular PSU

so i'd need a
ITX mobo
CPU
CPU cooler (Air small plz)
16gb ram
Small case (maybe a NR200P but would need a new PSU. maybe the SSUPD Meshlicious but open to cheaper suggestions that would be small and fit a PNY GTX 980 and ATX PSU )

not really looking for super speed, just somthing to go next to a TV for light gaming / light 3d work / watching video / internet etc. cheap last gen am4 stuff or whatever.

Id love to hear your suggestions and to find out how cheap i could get it. if you want to know the current CPU / MB just ask but think 10 - 7 years old.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Associate
OP
picked the same Mobo, seems the only one avalible really.

i could go cheaper if i get AMD Ryzen 5 4500 AM4 Processor at £74

would make the total around £250 + £50 for a low profile Noctua CPU cooler. total around £300

might even be cheaper on black friday or i could get more for the money.

Phanteks Eclipse P200 Air Mini-ITX Case - Black
Team Group Vulcan Z T-Force 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit - Grey
Gigabyte AMD Ryzen A520 AM4 Mini-ITX Motherboard
Noctua NH-L9x65
AMD Ryzen 5 4500 AM4 Processor

Last edited:
Associate
OP
tbh i think i have decided on going with either the SSUPD Meshroom S V2 or Ssupd Meshlicious. i know its not the cheapest at all but the Phatek is a big SFF case. Almost as big as the Lian Li 011 air mini.
so i think i'll pay a bit extra so its shoebox size and i can easily transport it and it wont take up as much room in the living room / car.

Now is the question to get the SSUPD Meshroom S V2 for future proofing or if i want the cheaper Meshlicious for now. Out of intrest as the Meshroom comes with a gen4 riser cable is that backward compatible with a gen 3 PCIE slot just that the speeds would be less?

so as it stands :

SSUPD Meshroom S Mini-ITX Airflow Case - Charcoal Black
Team Group Vulcan Z T-Force 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit - Grey
Noctua NH-L9x65
AMD Ryzen 5 4500 AM4 Processor
Crucial P3 1TB 3.0 NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD

could save a bit also by not buying a M.2 but as the P3 is pretty cheap why not. hoping to save at least some cash on this over Black friday anyway

Last edited:
Associate
OP
just put some of these components into PP and it has two warnings
  • Warning: The Gigabyte A520I AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard supports the AMD Ryzen 5 4500 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor with BIOS version F14. If the motherboard is using an older BIOS version, updating the BIOS will be necessary to support the CPU.
Note: The Noctua NH-L9x65 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler may require a separately available mounting adapter to fit the Gigabyte A520I AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard.

what adapter does it need?

Associate
OP
its ok i have read that the NH-L9x65 as of 2019 comes with AM4 mounting adapter. The last few days i have been switching things up. mostly as SSUPD Meshroom S Mini-ITX Airflow Case - Charcoal Black i not in stock anywhere and its not the V2 version.

so i am now going with the Meshlicious, which is not what i want but supply from SSUPD is abysmal. i have also (atm) decided to buy a 1000w SFX-L PSU which is over kill for what i need but with the way Graphics cards are going 1000W will mean i can upgrade my graphic card later down the line and not need a new PSU.

so yeah a bit more expensive

What i'd like to know is which AIR CPU cooler should i get? clearence on the Meshlicious in 4 slot mode is 53mm. with that in mind i was thinking for maybe going with the Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 whhich is only 37mm.

Would the Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 be a good choice to cool the AMD Ryzen 5 5500? or should i get somthing else?

here is the latest specs

Ssupd Meshlicious Mini ITX Case - Full Mesh - Black - PCIE 3.0
Noctua NH-L9a-AM4
AMD Ryzen 5 5500
Crucial P3 1TB 3.0 NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD
ARCTIC MX-6 (4 g)
Corsair SF1000L Fully Modular Low-Noise SFX Power Supply - ATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 Compliant

Last edited:
Associate
OP
thinking about changing motherboards to the Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac mostly as it has a SPDIF out which i need, I then wouldn't have to get a DAC for optical.
i've been searching around for the USB to Optical adaptor and the ones i found do not support 5.1 only stereo. if anyone knows one that i could look into or they use could they let me know.

tbh i'd prefer the Gigabyte board, with my sleepy eyes it looks better on paper i think. Can anyone tell me the Pros abd cons for the Gigabyte A520I AC vs Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac and my spec sheet.

is the Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac any good?

Thank

Paul

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Can anyone tell me the Pros abd cons for the Gigabyte A520I AC vs Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac and my spec sheet.

I don't know why I looked at the tech info, the boards are small I should have just looked at them.

Gigabyte versus asrock:

LAN: Realtek 1Gb vs Intel I211AT 1Gb
WIFI: Whatever Gigabyte have laying about? vs Intel .
USB flashback: Yes vs No
Display: 2x HDMI (max 2.1) & 1 DP (max 1.4) vs 1x HDMI (max 2.0) & 1 DP (max 1.2)
USB: 0 rear Type-C vs 1 rear Type-C
Keyboard/Mouse: 0 PS/2 vs 1 PS/2
Audio: Realtek ? vs Realtek ALC1220
Jacks: 3 vs 5

Didn't check: VRM, fan and pump/LED headers, internal USB headers

Associate
OP
I would choose Gigabyte over the ASRock board, personally
i think i have come to that choice now, i can get a seprate USB soundcard / DAC for it later if i feel like it.

ive been looking at the build and talking to people on reddit / discord over the weekend one person on there suggested using a Alpenföhn® Black Ridge cooler for this. initally it looked great but since then i have watched some reviews and the comments say this cooler does not come with a backplate and so over time may bend and even stop the board from posting. where can i get hold of an AM4 backplate? the noctua mounting kits have been discountinued now which people have used in the past. The Black Ridge also may have issues with M.2 heatsinks but i think my P3 might be ok, its a good but awkward cooler in terms of comptability no doubt.

the cooler also ment i'd have to :

-- swap out the RAM for LPX corsair ram
-- get a better fan for the cooler as the bundled one isn't great and is much louder.

the other option is getting the Thermalright AXP90 X47 or the full copper one, but this also i think does not come with a backplate and i am not sure if you can use the one with the A520 or even if it comes with one or you can use it with other stuff?

i think what i am trying to do and going round in circles a little is find the a low profile cooler that has good cooling for a 5500 / 5600 or 5600X, low noise levels and is easy to install and also factor in the extra cost that i might need.

maybe i should get the Noctua NH-L9A-AM4 after all.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
i am not sure if you can use the one with the A520 or even if it comes with one or you can use it with other stuff?
There's two options with AM4 with the stock mounting mechanism. You can use the legacy clip/holder things that are like levers and require a flat screwdriver, or your cooler uses the AM4 backplate (the stock coolers just screw into it).

Third party coolers sometimes use the stock mounting mechanism (lever, or the backplate), but with larger/better coolers, you may need to remove them, since they have their own proprietary mounting mechanism.

Associate
OP
There's two options with AM4 with the stock mounting mechanism. You can use the legacy clip/holder things that are like levers and require a flat screwdriver, or your cooler uses the AM4 backplate (the stock coolers just screw into it).

Third party coolers sometimes use the stock mounting mechanism (lever, or the backplate), but with larger/better coolers, you may need to remove them, since they have their own proprietary mounting mechanism.

Thanks Tetras :)

Do you know which ones these should or will use for the :

NH-L9A-AM4
Black Ridge
Thermalright AXP90 X47

Last edited:
Associate
OP
i think i am settled on the cooler now going with the NH-L9A-AM4, thanks all for you help :)

How about the SSD? i am not looking to spend much on the M.2 but if there is a better drive than the Crucial P3 1TB that i should consider for a few quid more do let me know.

Man of Honour
Do you know which ones these should or will use for the :

NH-L9A-AM4
Black Ridge
Thermalright AXP90 X47
Looking at reviews is more reliable than me, but from what I gather:
- NH-L9A-AM4: proprietary since there's a picture of a backplate and a bunch of screws and this cooler is advertised specifically for AM4 (so e.g. I'd imagine it isn't a backplate for Intel only).
- Black Ridge: not sure (no pictures of mounting gubbins on their website), but judging by this warning, it is proprietary:

Note for AMD-based systems: Mini ITX motherboards from the manufacturers ASrock, Gigabyte and MSI may cause assembly problems due to the arrangement of the components.

- AXP90 X47: proprietary, there's a picture of a backplate and a bunch of screws and in the manual they tell you to remove all the existing mounting gear on the motherboard before installation of the cooler.

@mickyflinn might be able to confirm, since coolers aren't really my thing.

How about the SSD? i am not looking to spend much on the M.2 but if there is a better drive than the Crucial P3 1TB that i should consider for a few quid more do let me know.
I would always pick the SN570 over the P3 (because it uses TLC). MSI's M450 Spatium is another alternative. P3 1TB TBW: 220. M450 Spatium (1TB): 600. SN570 (1TB): 600.

Associate
OP
for an extra £15 i could get a Samsung 980 so will probably do that, might even be the same price on Black friday. Looked at the SN570 its great except on sustained writes over fifteen mins where it throttles to Sata speeds after that accroding to techtesters.

Man of Honour
for an extra £15 i could get a Samsung 980 so will probably do that, might even be the same price on Black friday.
I have a 980, no problems with it, but it is a bit pricey for what it is. They're on offer a lot, so you should be able to get one later.

Looked at the SN570 its great except on sustained writes over fifteen mins where it throttles to Sata speeds after that accroding to techtesters.
The throttling is pretty normal, all QLC/TLC drives do that, though some drives have a larger buffer than others. It is not normally a problem unless you're doing very large file transfers, or not giving the drive sufficient time to recover.

Back
Top Bottom