Titan Fenrir

Associate
Hey all,

What do you guys think of the Titan Fenrir... couldn't find a thread dedicated to this cooler, and it looks really good for the price. I'll probably be running medium overclocks on my i7 860.

Also would it take something like a noctua fan too? Something with better pressure/cfm as well as noise characteristics.

Also looking at the Thermalrigth TRUE... buy thats expensive!

Thanks.

Soldato
I had one and it was mediocre at best. Temps for my i7 were in the 85c-90c range for a 4ghz oc. Within days the fins began to come away from the heatpipes. I would not recommend them at all. Go for the megahalems, TRUE, noctua or corsair h50.

Permabanned
I would echo Galdin109's recommendations. Those four coolers are the best available. Choose one which fits best with your environment and case etc. If you have large case then all are decent options. IF your a little cramped then maybe the nimble H50 has your calling.

Good luck

McT

Associate
OP
Thanks guys I will avoid this one. I'm usualy one to watercool but I think I will sit it out with the i7's and maybe go water againf or my next build.

I have an Antec 1200 so space isn't really an issue. I will read reviews on these 3 coolers though :)

Thanks.

Soldato
Mine's great on the 775 platform!

Just tried some MX3 (old was AS5), and my Q9550 is idling at under 30 degree's at stock speeds. This is with 2xnoctua's in Push/Pull config which i had to modify using cable ties, stuck in an Antec 902.

Full load of 41deg @ 1.15v (linX and IBT) When i have my Q9550 at 3.8ghz (1.35v), LinX pushes it to 70deg, which is still damn good for the amount of voltage i'm putting through it.

To be honest, i dont believe there is more than 4-5 degress difference between all the top end air coolers. It's the individual setup and rig that determines most of the temps!

Associate
AMD955 Black

I got mine as part of an overclocked bundle, frankly it think it's over rated, the fan is a pain to fit, you can't reach the fixings with fan fitted, also I'm finding that it doesn't get warm, I've refitted it several times now and it still doesn't get warm but the chip temperatures as indicated by speedfan suggest it's ticking over at 40 to 45 degrees and rising to 55 sometimes when under stress, I have wiped off the compound and redone it, then used some 10 year old silicone compound and the temps dropped by an average of 5 degrees.
Guy at work bought an artic freezer and it looks the business, wishing I had one now.

Simon

Soldato
Also looking at the Thermalrigth TRUE... buy thats expensive!

Thanks.

The copper TRUE is expensive at £79.99, but the aluminium TRUE Extreme Rev.C isn't. With a £10 fan, it would cost you £52.99 instead of £33.99 for the titan, that would be less than £20 more than the titan, but an exceptionally good cooler.

Associate
I had a Fenrir but got terrible temps with it, even crashing under load. I tried reinstalling it but it didn't improve things. In the end I replaced it with the Corsair H50 and have had great temps since.

Soldato
Mate of mine has the £12 Zalman 9500 here and his Q6600 is about 8c cooler than mine under the Fenrir and his is clocked 0.2ghz faster..!!!

I deffo would not buy one again.

That zalman has to be the best value cooler on the market at the minute.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had one and it was mediocre at best. Temps for my i7 were in the 85c-90c range for a 4ghz oc. Within days the fins began to come away from the heatpipes. I would not recommend them at all. Go for the megahalems, TRUE, noctua or corsair h50.

I agree with Gaidin. Best go for Corsair H50 because it will not overweight your motherboard will not block your slot 1 memory ram. And H50 is very good for overclock 4ghz.

Back
Top Bottom