TJ09 vs TJ10

Associate
Hi,

I'm in the market for a new case as I currently have an Antec P190 and its dual PSU implementation is driving me nuts.

My questions regarding the TJ09/10 are:

1. Can the TJ09 fit a 4870 X2 gfx card?
2. What difference does the TJ10 offer for gfx card cooling over the TJ09?
3. There have been rattling problems reported on the TJ09, does this also affect the TJ10?
4. Any other differences which make one better than the other (other than the door!).

Thanks,

Dan

Associate
Only difference is the door
No rattle on mine
Not sure but I've a 8800gtx fitted no probs
not as cool as I'd like on GFX card cooling but then I live in a hot contry

Associate
Answers for the OP.

1. I have a 280 gtx there is another at least 3 inches till it hits the mid level chamber fan shroud. So I would say there is certainly enough space for a 4870x2.

2. There is no difference between the two for gfx card cooling both have the same mid level chamber cooling design.

3. I don't have a rattle on my t-09 per se. What I have noticed though is that mid level chamber fan creates a lot of vibration throughout the case but it is not audible. Some fan dampeners or changing of the fan might help alleviate this. I need to get round to this.

4. The only thing I can think of is that with my t-09 I use a scythe karma bay cooler on mine. If you had a t-10 then the door closed might restrict some of the airflow.

While the mid level chamber fan seems like a good idea in theory there are two downsides to this.

1. It wastes a lot of space with the shroud in place. While the t-09 is bigger than most cases I find it far inferior in respects to usable space and versatility comapred to my lian li a-70 even though I prefer the look of the t-09 more.

2. By sticking the fan towards the mid level section it means that the hard drive bay needs additional cooling which could mean more noise. If they had stuck with a more conventional design I think the overall functionality of the case would have been raised.

With the mid level air chamber and semi open hard drive bay I don't find this case the quietest. And while it has a bit of space it small compared to other cases of it class and considering the prices of these cases have shot up in price it really caters for a very small minority in a very small niche market in computing.

It is nowhere as quiet as my p180 or the silverstone kublai 2 case in operation I find. If they had used steel in this case like their kublai 2 case it would have been better I think.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks very much for this, I did really like the look of the TJ09, but its looking like its not the case of me as I want something I'll be at least 95% happy with (I dont believe the perfect case has been made yet;) )

Soldato
I had thought of that but I'm not really into watercooling. There isnt any specific air cooling in the TJ07 for the gfx card and my 4870 X2 runs pretty hot.
Lian Li A70 and optional BS-03 or BS-06 should be very good for hot running expansion cards. Normally that area doesn't have any exhaust removing heat.
http://lian-li.com/v2/tw/product/upload/image/A70/detail.jpg
http://www.lian-li.com.tw/v2/en/pro...ex=232&cl_index=2&sc_index=34&ss_index=83&g=f
Upper picture is BS-03 while lower showing how it's installed is 14cm fan equipped BS-06.

I dont believe the perfect case has been made yet;)
You can bet on that! Perfect case would have space for every component you need but would be small and light when transferred... which is "slightly" physically impossible.

Soldato
Not sure are BS-06s yet available. In summer Lian Li told that they would be available sometime during autumn.

But I got BS-03 week ago from shop here in Finland. (often getting anything new here is harder)
I don't think difference between them is much, also 12cm fans are common unlike 14cm fans if fan turns out to be noisier. Lian Li's fans seem to be ball bearing fans so rough handling can cause more noise and fan with BS-03 was definitely noisier than those with case which also had slight differences what I tested few... so I just replaced also that with Scythe Slip Stream.

Associate
I really like that case, the A70 looks fab, just need to find another eShop which sells those BS-06 units as OCUK dont stock them :(

The A70 has the space and versatility that theTt-09 could never provide. I have that case as well as the T-09. Not also would I say it was significantly bigger but it would allow you to fit a very good watercooling setup internally. I mean you still could with the t-09 but you would be restricted far considerably.

I mean the option to fit the psu at the top or the bottom of the case is a welcome option. Also I thought the A70 as an overall setup ran cooler then the T-09.

The one downside I found when using the A70 was the side panels were extremely thin aluminium. Why lian li did not make a steel version of the case I never know. I thought the case was prone to noise or it seemed noisier than the p180 I was using.

Also a lot of sharp edges in the A70.

But the the proside besides the obvious airflow and space was it is much cheaper than the T-09.

There is really no perfect case as I tend to be very fussy with cases and all of them seem to have some sort of flaw.

Hope that helps and good luck with your case hunt.

Soldato
The one downside I found when using the A70 was the side panels were extremely thin aluminium. Why lian li did not make a steel version of the case I never know.
Not thin at all, standard 1mm thick.
Lian Li doesn't seem to make any steel cases and similar steel case would weight lot more.
There's also another reason for general lack of any cases with both aluminum and steel versions but I can't tell that.

Downside of lighter weight is being more prone to vibration. Higher resonance frequency means vibration is at frequency where human ear is more sensitive and also same energy is enough to cause bigger amplitude of vibration.
But that's easy to solve by use of heavier damping mats, like BeQuiet Noise Absorber and Nexus Damptek.
(Antec P180 is made to be quiet at stock and also door gives some advantage)

Also a lot of sharp edges in the A70.
That's actually the curious thing. I've "fingered" those stamped edges lot and haven't had a single smallest cut or scratch!
I guess used alloy just doesn't make sharp cutting edges like steel would.

Back
Top Bottom