to those who use notepad++

unfortunately this i find is still the best editor out there, even though it was about 10 years ago when i first used it. it's not bad, but just ugly and i feel could do with a good facelift.

i use one of the dark themes, but the buttons are still tiny and things feel like they need a little more padding.

anyone know how to give it a better look?

are there better alternatives? i've tried atom and finding it stupid and frustrating. if for instance you select to split the view so you can see 2 files, it makes a copy of the one open and opens it on the next view, so now you have 2 of the same file open in front of you.

Soldato
Needed to knock up some HTML/JS UIs the last few weeks and tried Atom at first, but then Visual Studio Code and immediately preferred it.

Superficially similar, but Code just seems to work how I expect it, never had to look anything up, it doesn't get in the way it just lets me get on with the task in hand.

Associate
I use it all the time and I don't think I have ever used the icons I even had to open it just to see what was there. I tend to use shortcut keys or the dropdown menus. I like the simplicity of it even it does look dated

I guess it depends on what you use it for its not my main development environment and I tend to use it more as a scratch pad.

I have yet to find anything that matches it functionality wise.

Associate
I still mainly use textpad, if they ever add true UTF8 support I'd stop using notepad++

Textpad isn't the best, notepad++ beats it in a number of ways, I've been using it for 12 years now so hard to move on.

Associate
I've recently switched to using Visual Studio Code, I was previously a notepad++ user. Things like markdown support and intellisense are big reasons I am sticking with Visual Studio Code, plus it seems faster than atom which I didn't get on with at all.

Soldato
I use Code Blocks.

Not going to claim it's the best or anything it's just the one I picked and now use. It's an IDE not just a text editor although at work I use it purely as a text editor. Worth a try.

Soldato
Currently use both Atom and notepad++ depending on what I'm doing. Still need to try the updated Visual studio code but it's based of the same core framework as Atom.

Back
Top Bottom