To upgrade or not to upgrade-The return

Associate
So, having posted a similar thread in 2020 I stuck with my old system for another couple of years.
Now that things have presumably moved on a bit more...the question remains..is it time to upgrade?

I do gaming, video and audio recording and editing (Reaper, Cubase etc).

I currently have
i7 4770K OC bundle with
Z87X-OC-OF mobo (I believe it's E-ATX size?)
16Gb Ram DDR3
Noctua NDH14 cooler
EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 SC
Phanteks Eclipse P600s case

Any suggestions?
I'd like to keep my existing GPU for now to limit cost.

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Associate
OP
As a whole I find it ok timewise, but I do start to wonder about the longevity of it and the parts.

I'm presuming I can reuse my case, psu, gfx card and ssds and hdds to save cost?

Could someone suggest a bundle of cpu/ram/mobo/cooler that would make a significant upgrade to my system? Would this be a smart move https://www.overclockers.co.uk/geno...-overclocked-atx-gaming-bundle-bu-0be-og.html and compatible with my case, psu etc?
Also, am I right in thinking that I won't have to repurchase Win10 as it is associated to my MS account?

i7 4770K overclocked bundle with
Z87X-OC-OF mobo (I believe it's E-ATX size?)
16Gb Ram DDR3
Noctua NDH14 cooler
EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 SC
Phanteks Eclipse P600s case

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Many thanks for the suggestions, dfour.

I have an irrational loyalty to Intel, so your first suggestion looks good to me!
How would that compare to the OC bundle I linked?
Would both your build and the oc bundle be "huge" improvements?

Associate
OP
So, I'm pretty sold on either dfour's ddr5 bundle or the OCUK I7 12700k bundle.
2 questions:
What would be a decent upgrade to my EVGA geforce gtx 1080 oc for around £700ish max?
and assuming the GPU upgrade, would my Phanteks Revolt Pro 850W psu still cut it with either bundle?

Associate
OP
If it matters to you then might be a good idea to wait for the next RTX 4000 cards to release.
It wouldn't matter that much. Although I do some video editing, it's mainly audio recording/processing and then gaming.
I'll re-phrase... What would be a decent upgrade to my EVGA geforce gtx 1080 oc for around £700ish from what is currently available?

Many thanks for your info. Interesting read.

Associate
OP
Just an update:
The mobo was oos, so went for the more expensive MSI MAG Torpedo and an EK 360 AIO cooler.
Started the build on Saturday, and wasn't my day.
The build went well, all smooth as to be expected, until power on.
No display detected and no post.
After a couple of hours of checked and double checking things I removed one of the dimms (after reading a forum post about faulty memory causing a red cpu ez debug light on MSI boards) and voila, display...but then upon entering the bios the cpu temp was rocketing and the aio pump apparently not working.
Currently RMAing the cpu and mobo for testing, but it's looking to me like the board was faulty.
fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom