To wireless or not to wireless?

Soldato
Evening guys

My gateway is in the middle of a long drawn out death rattle (or high pitched whine in this case).

The model is a Linksys AG241, I have contacted Linksys who have said it is faulty and they will send me a new one. That model is discontinued and the nearest is a wireless gateway, model WAG54GX2, I can't post the link to it as it doesn't appear to be on the Linksys website ( :confused: ) but it can be googled for and has some good reviews.

Alternatively I can swap it for a similar model in the local shop where I bought it.

I tried Belkin wireless equipment once before without much success, I live in an old house with thick walls (impossible to get a mobile signal anywhere but at the window) and the signal was non-existant.

Apparently this particular gateway sends two signals to maxamise strength....what do you think...is the wireless worth it or shall I just get a replacement tomorrow?

Pros
Wirefree - If I want to connect a laptop I have to trail a 20m cable from one end of the house to another at the moment.

Very handy

Cons:
Up to 10 days to deliver and I don't know if it will work here until it arrives

I have to admit to being a little worried about the RF signal...it's almost like inviting a mini phone mast into your house.

I'm a bit :confused: ...what would you do?

Soldato
OP
You can disable wireless? What, and just plug in a cable as normal?

That sounds like it would be better...most of the time I would just be using it with the office PC that I can connect with a cable...I would only be connecting to the laptop (wirelessly) sometimes.

Can that be done?

Back
Top Bottom