Toasted Sandwiches

Man of Honour
In a wave of nostalgia for 'brevilles' and because I thought it would be fun for my kids to be able to make their own toasties (12 and 10) I have just bought a toasted sandwich machine.

Any filling suggestions?

What do people like? You can't mess with the classics and I am partial to straight up cheese or ham and cheese. Keeping it simple corned beef and onion or cheese and onion. Some jalapenos, bacon and scrambled egg may be good, like a breakfast burrito.

Soldato
Try sweet ones too. Brioche, banana and nutella! I mean, I ******* hate both of those things but the kids like it!

We did the same as you though, but both had the same idea so on christmas morning the two of us sat there and both opened toastie makers! I like a traditional cheese and pickle job tbh but can be more fancy with brie and red onion chutney, which is nice. TBF you can literally use anything you like!

Man of Honour
OP
Cheese tomato puree, herbs, onion.

As you say, you can't beat it really.

Gherkins.

I like those with garlic mayo on the side.

I made a smoked alioli the other day. Roasted garlic mayo and then cold smoked it. It was lovely and I think a toastie dipped in that would be lush.

Try sweet ones too. Brioche, banana and nutella! I mean, I ******* hate both of those things but the kids like it!

We did the same as you though, but both had the same idea so on christmas morning the two of us sat there and both opened toastie makers! I like a traditional cheese and pickle job tbh but can be more fancy with brie and red onion chutney, which is nice. TBF you can literally use anything you like!

Banana and nutella sounds rank but you are right, my kids would love it!

Soldato
In a wave of nostalgia for 'brevilles' and because I thought it would be fun for my kids to be able to make their own toasties (12 and 10) I have just bought a toasted sandwich machine.

Any filling suggestions?

What do people like? You can't mess with the classics and I am partial to straight up cheese or ham and cheese. Keeping it simple corned beef and onion or cheese and onion. Some jalapenos, bacon and scrambled egg may be good, like a breakfast burrito.

Always gotta be ham and cheese!

Oh FWIW, if you've got one of these multi-press makers - the ones with panini/waffle plates. I find it much easier to make a toastie with the panini plates.

Man of Honour
OP
Always gotta be ham and cheese!

Oh FWIW, if you've got one of these multi-press makers - the ones with panini/waffle plates. I find it much easier to make a toastie with the panini plates.

It's deep fill breville for the old school sealed toastie. I do have waffle plates for it.

Soldato
Which toaster kind are we talking about here? The type that closes or the one that rests on the sandwich? I have the later, get two Italian style sourdough slices, butter both sides, cheese (mixture of grated mozzarella and cheddar with a slice of emmental cheese and Wiltshire thin smoked ham. Put some mustard Mayo on the inside and toast.

Same again, but replace ham with precooked streaky bacon, sliced tomato and if you can find it, a chicken escalope.

if it’s the style that completely seals and crushes the crust of the bread, mini pizzas are great. Normal toastie bread, tomato paste, cheddar and mozzarella mix and then add your bits, I add mushrooms, peppers and onions.

Soldato
Jam for a painful lesson in thermodynamics, specific heat and first aid.
That's basically first degree murder
It is also a necessity, possibly even a rite of passage, but an absolute must for nostalgia's sake!!

I'd also suggest trying Marmite™ and gruyere, which is odd but surprisingly nice.
If you're feeling kind, start them with Vegemite™ to avoid death by salty dehydration... and then make them eat Bovril, just so they realise how good their modern life is!

Soldato
It is also a necessity, possibly even a rite of passage, but an absolute must for nostalgia's sake!!

I'd also suggest trying Marmite™ and gruyere, which is odd but surprisingly nice.
If you're feeling kind, start them with Vegemite™ to avoid death by salty dehydration... and then make them eat Bovril, just so they realise how good their modern life is!
Are you actually adding (TM) to the end of your brand names? :p

Edit: your missed Bovril ™

Back
Top Bottom