• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Toasty Ryzen 5600

Associate
Hi, would appreciate some advise. Tldr at the bottom.

Upgraded my set up roughly a year ago now to a Ryzen 5600X. Didn't have any issues when I first built and ran some bench marks to find temps were good. However, after roughly 6 months I started to notice some performance issues with my CPU (noticed when I finally upgraded my GPU to a FE 3070).

Benchmarked again and monitored temps whilst gaming, noticed CPU would max at 95 degrees. Often would cool down after to 55 and then struggle to go lower. Opened tabs on Firefox would increase temperature to 70.

I deemed the fault to be with the cooler (an MSi MAG CoreLiquid 240R) so had it sent back to where I purchased it, they found it to be fault and have sent me back a replacement unit.

However, where my worry is. Whilst my AiO was sent back I used the stock cooler and my temps are still reaching 95 whilst gaming. Idling at 55. The temperature gain doesn't seem as dramatic as before but it still seems very hot....

What would be the next best this to investigation as the cause of this? The CPU itself, maybe my case? (Case is an MSi Gungnir 110R).

CPU was purchased from OC just over 1 year ago. Any advice very appreciated.

Tldr; CPU got hot after 6 months, AIO deemed faulty, was using stock cooler in the mean time but temps still hitting 95 whilst gaming, 55 idle. Now been 1 year.

I found that case temperature made a big difference especially when using a powerful GPU.

Can you monitor system temperatures from your motherboard?

If not you could always try the classic case side off test.

I made a substantial improvement in my temperatures by adding a few more case fans.

They run hot, although 95' is quite warm. Any overclock?

No overclock on it at all.

55c idle isn't normal

Temps occasionally drop below 50 but I have to leave the PC for a good 30 minutes with nothing running...

I found that case temperature made a big difference especially when using a powerful GPU.

Can you monitor system temperatures from your motherboard?

Other MAX temps tonight (no gaming, just browsing): CPU: 63 - System: 40 - MOS (VRMs): 43 - Chipset: 40 - GPU: 55

The stock cooler is rubbish so I'm not supprised temps were similar to the broken AIO.

This is my thought, not sure whether to just buy a new fan cooler. This was my first AIO and it broke after 6 months so dont have a lot of trust for them now.....

case looks like it breathes worse than an asthmatic old man

I wondered this but there is a lot more openings than on pictures, and certainly better than other cases ive seen. Review seem good....

System temperature at 40 is much higher than mine.

The stock cooler is pretty rubbish, I went from 85 degrees full load after 40min cinebench to 63 degrees with a better cooler.

Your higher case temps probably account for your extra 10 degrees on the CPU.

It is an MSI case so that would account for some of the high temps, MSI cases frequently sit the bottom of case performance charts

Thanks all. I had my suspicions that the case might have something to do with it. Time to spend some cash!

I've been looking at new coolers anyway, disappointed my first AIO outing went poorly.

Corsair 4000D Airflow. You will be in a world of airflow and cool temps. And, the filters do a very good job keeping dust out the case too.

As for coolers, Corsair or Arctic within your budget, can't go wrong with either.

Back
Top Bottom