Today's adventure in defect fixing... involved no fixes lol

Soldato
So I spent the better part of a day after finally being able to diagnose an issue we were having with one of the QA servers. Essentially, a zone wasn't showing up on the page as expected, and I had to figure out why.

No error logs. Nothing useful to go on for this new feature. Eventually I ended up stepping through the code in my local machine where I discovered that the application servers for QA weren't configured to hit the API hosts. Awesome.... had to speak to some other chaps to and found they had an admin host I code use that would work. Then found that the url was case sensitive for country and it needed to be upper case... wonderful... (no spec on that lol). Then finally discovered that the data was complete pap, and I was only getting one item back that was valid when I needed a minimum of 5.

So.. had to eventually (and temporarily) configure the service to point to production api's (which was fine), to get valid data... which was a mission in itself, even though it's only stored on a table as a configurable item.

Finally managed to get it working and now the product works as expected. Just pee's me off that there was absolutely nothing wrong with my code/design, just someone didn't configure the service properly, and secondly.. totally crap data. Makes my life so much harder and makes me look bad. Too be fair the data is very time sensitive... but still. (I also don't know why QA keeps expecting us to create the QA data.......)

Next weeks adventure... having to explain to the testers why I can't configure the data for an entirely automated feature that we rely on another pre-written API for lol.

(cue the meme for testing in production...)

Back
Top Bottom