Tomb Raider I - III remaster

Associate

Feb 14th release which is classic Laras birthday!

I'm wondering if they will rework the original tank controls as anyone new to it that picks it up might not last long with it.

Also FMVs, I wonder how/if they will rework these. Probably just AI upscales but hopefully they have the source access and can do more.

Last edited:
Soldato
Meh, what's wrong with what we have?

Probably want some Steam Deck verification and all the modern bells and whistles with Steam achievements and trading cards (woo).

Man of Honour
Hmm, changing the controls is extremely dangerous territory. The entire game is built around them, levels won't work in the same way with a different control set. I'd be surprised if they did that without reworking the level design or how the environment reacts to your movement.

I really think it'll be simply a roll up of all expansions with a graphics toggle.

Last edited:
Associate
Hmm, changing the controls is extremely dangerous territory. The entire game is built around them, levels won't work in the same way with a different control set. I'd be surprised if they did that without reworking the level design or how the environment reacts to your movement.

I really think it'll be simply a roll up of all expansions with a graphics toggle.
You may be right regarding the controls. I have played the game in decades so don't know how well they have aged.

Associate
OP

Yeah, those were my thoughts. Im not sure how you change the tank controls as its tied to the grid system of the levels.

I'll be grabbing this though.

Associate
How is it remastered if its original graphics? isnt the point of remasters to make the game look better? I must be missing something here, but it sounds more rerelease than remaster.

Dont get me wrong, loved the originals back in the ps1 days

Underboss
How is it remastered if its original graphics? isnt the point of remasters to make the game look better? I must be missing something here, but it sounds more rerelease than remaster.

Lovingly Restored: Experience the classics boasting upgraded graphics, with the option to switch to the original polygon look at any time.

Soldato
Looking at the screenshots they've just tweaked some of the lighting and graphics. They can't really do much more without rewriting the entire thing which is fine they're classics and should stay that way

Oh I see looking at the TR1 shots they've added a hi poly model for Lara she also famously didn't have a working ponytail for one they couldn't get teh physics working right

Last edited:
Man of Honour
older games look better imo than the new versions when comparing the details.
Yes but actually no... There's zero way you can argue the fidelity isn't completely night and day, but I suppose it depends how you define "better". It does look quite jarring, the grid system means levels are blocky by their nature and the pixellated/per block lighting nature sort of worked with it. High red textures plus good lighting sort of creeps me out when combined with blocks like that. I think it loses some of the character for sure.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Thread title is confusing, since it's not a remake at all.

Remasters jazz up existing code and are usually (not always) a bit "meh"

Remakes are generally the better option.

Back
Top Bottom