Too Long Didn't Read

Consigliere
Someone IS going to comment and say your post is too long...which to be honest, is not very funny. :o

And to answer your question, yes I also now struggle. I guess people just want the point rather than having to read through huge amounts of text.

Speakers Corner does have some fascinating reads though.

Soldato
I do find some people belive that typing reams and reams somehow makes whatever nonsense they're talking about sound more credible. I think it's down to a mindset that there is no disucssion with what they're saying and that their word is final - so by writing a long post, there is literally no opportunity for discussion. It's like someone talking non-stop for half an hour in a pub and talking over anyone who dares chip in.

I usually skim those posts, if not skip entirely.

Soldato
Generally, I don't think there are many situations that call for someone to be writing forum posts longer than 150 words or so. Even the top end of that is often too much.

There are a few regulars whose style seems simply to overwhelm the debate with too much text, maddeningly widening the original talking point, and take it as a 'win' if their 'opponent' stops responding.

Soldato
I do find some people belive that typing reams and reams somehow makes whatever nonsense they're talking about sound more credible. I think it's down to a mindset that there is no disucssion with what they're saying and that their word is final - so by writing a long post, there is literally no opportunity for discussion. It's like someone talking non-stop for half an hour in a pub and talking over anyone who dares chip in.

I usually skim those posts, if not skip entirely.

That was just too long!

I do find sometimes i quickly skim over long posts, or if there's tens of unread posts on the page i might just skip and read the shorter ones only.

That's another reason why I prefer forums to social media, is that people put thought into their posts. It can be 2 or 3 paragraphs long and isn't usually seen as TL;DR.

In the computer games sub-forum however, there seems to be an unwritten rule that you can't write long posts. I once got pulled up because my OP was deemed as too long.

Soldato
Anyone else struggle to read long forum posts these days?
I blame the use of social media. :)

Depends.
If it's well written and/or does at least read OK, then I'm fine with it.
If it, like, is poorly structured like wot people talk sometimes and teh post cntains lotss of spellung mistekes and is just, like, a long ramble, right, then it's not as compelling.

But saying that, if it is a TLDR, then I can usually just skim-read and glean the summary myself, without resorting to sarcastic dismissals.

Caporegime
Have to say yes.

Games (especially games) , books, articles, videos

I guess it's culture. So much information coming in all the time. It's hard to filter.
I don't think it's a good thing.

I very rarely read long science articles anymore

Back
Top Bottom