Too Long Didn't Read

Associate
I've also found I can't read books anymore. It used to be a real pleasure but I simply can't sit there now.

I've felt this way for a loooong time. Talking 20+ years. But now I'm in my late 40s I'm finding myself more and more frustrated with social media, human interaction, entertainment, all becoming so quick and easy; attention spans being measured in minutes, or even seconds.

I've started looking for more meaning, something more in depth, that demands I invest my time and energy. Consequently, I'm reading a lot more. I've recently finished Greenlights: Matthew McConaughey and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've nearly finished Inspire: Ben Fogle (not quite so well written, but meaningful) and I've got Barrack Obama's book next. I've just ordered Behind the Lens: David Suchet.

Man of Honour
I've felt this way for a loooong time. Talking 20+ years. But now I'm in my late 40s I'm finding myself more and more frustrated with social media, human interaction, entertainment, all becoming so quick and easy; attention spans being measured in minutes, or even seconds.

I've started looking for more meaning, something more in depth, that demands I invest my time and energy. Consequently, I'm reading a lot more. I've recently finished Greenlights: Matthew McConaughey and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've nearly finished Inspire: Ben Fogle (not quite so well written, but meaningful) and I've got Barrack Obama's book next. I've just ordered Behind the Lens: David Suchet.
Are you reading physical books or on the kindle?

fez

fez

Caporegime

I've made a concerted effort to completely avoid social media (apart from a bit of reddit) and to limit my screen time before bed. Got a kindle for Christmas and have been reading that every night before bed. I think its helped a lot in many ways honestly.

Associate
i think some psychologists have said its due to short attention spans we have now as a result of miulti-tasking, e.g being on the phone whilst watching TV etc increase of technology..

Associate
Are you reading physical books or on the kindle?

Real books. I tried to use the kindle, but it just doesn't feel the same. I don't get anywhere near the same amount of pleasure out of it. I'm a sucker for a hardback. They're usually more expensive, but if the difference isn't too much I'll pay the extra.

My wife and three kids are actually a worry for me. They all spend an enormous amount of time on FB, Insta, YT, etc. I'm convinced the reason my kids can't sit and watch a film, engage with the story, understand the plot, follow the twists and turns, not know what's coming next, but then BAM! you're hit with it, is because they've become lazy and require instant gratifications, or at least within 3 minutes!

I'm trying to wean them off it all, but it's difficult. I see more of it now I'm working from home so much and it's been a real eye opener.

Anyway, must stop browsing OCUK and get back to work...:D

Last edited:
Soldato
the T+C's on game installs etc when you have to scroll through the entire thing before it lets you tick the 'I agree' box are great... even just holding down the button with it scrolling so fast you've obviously not read any of it

Back
Top Bottom