Tory MP says people using term ‘white privilege’ should be reported to the Home Office as extremists

Soldato
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/white-privilege-tory-mp-jonathan-gullis-b1935308.html

On the one hand it seems like an over reaction but equally I object to teachers being allowed to push politically charged, anti-British and divisive concepts like "white privilege" at impressionable schoolchildren unchallenged?

I don't feel like trying to make children guilty about their ethnicity is particularly healthy so I'd actually be in favour of banning the promotion of ideologies like this in education.

Soldato
OP
I suppose the thing I mainly disliked about the term is that it's not so much that being white gives you privelege but that not being part of the indigenous population in a country disadvantages you. If I go to another country where I don't speak the language fluently, don't have a network of people around me, don't know the local customs, have a different religion/etc then clearly it puts me at a disadvantage compared to the indigenous population in a whole array of situations.

However, I think it's pretty unreasonable to frame that in a way which accuses the indigenous population as having some kind of "privelege" just because as a migrant you're at a disadvantage!

Back
Top Bottom