Total n00b, help needed!

Associate
Hi, well, where to start?? Haha...
Well, long time console gamer here looking to get into PC gaming! I've been interested in having a dabble with PC for a little while but to be perfectly honest, I was quite content gaming away in my little console bubble. It's only been as of recent with this whole 4k console stuff, that has kind of given me a kick up the backside to take a little more control over my personal gaming experiences.

I'm looking to build. I would like to learn a new skill and get hands on with all the tech myself. I haven't really set aside a budget yet as I'm not there yet, if that makes sense? I would like to read and learn a lot more about the process, components and just generally how things all work together. Any reading material/recommendactions would be absolutely awesome!

On the whole, I find this all very exciting as I love learning and I feel it would be an awesome accomplishment to game on something that I have personally built! I plan on keeping my ps4 as I do love my trophy hunting and some of the exclusives coming up look ace!

I'm considering just buying a cheap second hand desktop in the mean time, just to strip it down and rebuild it a few times to get an idea of the task at hand!

Any advice on where to start, what to read, videos to watch etc... would be greatly appreciated!

Associate
OP
@Devrij Ah, definitely! Loading times can be a pain in the *** on some games. Also, very reassuring to know that you started here in a similar position too!

@mistersprinkles I think realistically, I will set a budget between 6-800 pounds, then upgrade as and when I can.

Games and performance, I'd like to play all the latest games really, especially Battlefield 1 & overwatch for my multiplayer fix... I would be very happy with 1080p 60fps as a minimum, 1440p 60 would be totally awesome! Frame rate is a higher priority to me than resolution (1080 minimum though would be nice).

Peripherals, well, haven't got a Scrooby doo as to what's good or not. Never played with a mouse and keyboard (which I'm actually really looking forward to tbh, especially for overwatch!). So general suggestions that fit within my budget would be greatly appreciated. Again, I can always upgrade down the line.

As for welcoming me to the master race, haha... Thank you very much, good sir. I totally get that it's banter, but, if I manage to build me a decent rig I shall happily throw that joke around myself (I'm not a b@stard myself either btw).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom