• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Total War: Warhammer III Benchmarks

Soldato
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/total-war-warhammer-iii-benchmark-test-performance-analysis/

The game is available now on gamepass.
It's quite a good benchmark, its hits both the CPU and GPU very hard.

For benchmarking, Ultra preset seems to be the way to go and using the Battle benchmark.
I got 96fps average at 1440p on the Ultra preset in the Battle bench.

performance-2560-1440.png

performance-3840-2160.png

Associate
Seems okayish, wish they would use a new engine instead of the same one from Shogun 2 though. I booted up Shogun 2 yesterday and the graphics look the same as TWW3.
87 average on the battle benchmark, I wouldn't say its a good benchmark though as the campaign map runs much worse and zooming in on battles still drops to 40s.

Caporegime
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/total-war-warhammer-iii-benchmark-test-performance-analysis/

The game is available now on gamepass.
It's quite a good benchmark, its hits both the CPU and GPU very hard.

For benchmarking, Ultra preset seems to be the way to go and using the Battle benchmark.
I got 96fps average at 1440p on the Ultra preset in the Battle bench.

performance-2560-1440.png

performance-3840-2160.png

That performance is shocking, 36 FPS from an RTX 3060 at 1440P.

How much of Nvidia's proprietary crap is in this one? All of it?

ljt

ljt

Soldato
There's a chance it isn't the game that's causing the poor performance, but the DRM used.

Reviewers and streamers have tested their version (without DRM) against retail (with DRM) and there is a massive gulf in performance with the retail version seriously underperforming.

It was even worse at low settings. It went from 120fps with the review version on low, to 59fps with retail. It literally halves fps!

Associate
There's a chance it isn't the game that's causing the poor performance, but the DRM used.

Reviewers and streamers have tested their version (without DRM) against retail (with DRM) and there is a massive gulf in performance with the retail version seriously underperforming.

It was even worse at low settings. It went from 120fps with the review version on low, to 59fps with retail. It literally halves fps!

Don't think of it as DRM, think of it as free malware. Oh how generous Sega are to legitimate customers.

Caporegime

Makes sense.

How the #### do they get away with that? a 3060 is not a slow GPU and its expensive, its quite reasonable for a 3060 owner to have a 1440P screen and in most AAA titles its perfectly fine.

Soldato
Think its still mainly a dx11 game which in this day and age is shocking. No game should be based on dx11. Should be dx12 with backwords compatibility for older dx cards. Devs are just so lazy these days.

Soldato
This is Lack of Creativity Assembly were talking about here, they have always been slow to update there game engines to the latest standards. I think we had to wait until Shogun 2 for a Total War game to use more then one CPU thread which came out in 2011 and even then it could only use two threads.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just had a play with the benchmark, looks average at best and tanks my system @4k (3080 and 12700K)

I honestly think they just intentionally hobble the performance of some games now to try and increase hardware sales.

There is no reason this game should be so demanding.

Total War performance has often been a **** show, but this really takes the ****.

Caporegime
I just wonder if many developers are trying to create things that are too complicated, and for which they dont have the talent/skilled enough staff to do them correctly (or the staff just don't care). Cyperpunk would be a prime example of that. It was clearly just too ambitious and they just didnt have the talent or know how to pull it off. They tried to make a cyberpunk GTA/RDR and failed miserably.Most likely because they simply didnt have the talent that Rockstar has.

The only game i have been seriously impressed with recenlt is RDR2. Most other recent "AAA" titles are total **** in comparison.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom