totally confused with powerline issue

Associate
Hi,

Would appreciate some thoughts from you guys.. I've got SSE broadband (76/20 connected at around 65/18), but the main socket is in the living room and my pc in my flat is in my bedroom. Decided to get some powerline adaptors (TP LINK 8010 / AV1200) as I've had them before and they work great.

Cant seem to get any decent download speed through them though. TP LINK monitoring app is showing a stable 826 Mbps connection between the two and they have been updated to run on the latest firmware. Both adaptors are in twin power sockets on their own with nothing plugged in to the adjacent socket. Its a reasonably new build flat so presume the wiring should be fine. Moved the PC power connections away to a different socket. Also tried both the SSE router and then SSE router as bridge and a TP Link router - no difference.

Download max is around 1.5mb/s usually in the kb/s or not working at all. Is there anything here I might be missing? I know the cat5/6 cables I've used are good. I've got another socket I could possibly try slightly further away from the PC but dont really want to be buying/running long ethernet cables to solve this. I'm guessing, that as the link between the adaptors is fine that it might be something at the pc end? Bluetooth and wifi disabled on the pc.

Edit: forgot to mention - wifi and ethernet connections direct to router are fine in terms of expected speeds

Thanks!

Check that you’ve set your own encryption keys. They’ll work out of the box using the default keys but that risks connections to other nearby adapters (more likely in flats).

Try the adapters side by side in the same double socket. You may need a long Ethernet cable to try this but they’re cheap to buy.

Check that you’ve set your own encryption keys. They’ll work out of the box using the default keys but that risks connections to other nearby adapters (more likely in flats).

Try the adapters side by side in the same double socket. You may need a long Ethernet cable to try this but they’re cheap to buy.
Cant find anywhere that allows you to change encryption keys on the adaptors. Tried a number of sockets, including side by side, connection between the adaptors going up to 900 Mbps but still slow.

C&P from what I've sent TP LINK support as not sure now whats left to try:

Upgraded the firmware on both adaptors to TL-PA8010(UK)_V1_180726, unplugged everything that wasnt on an extension lead in the house (including microwave and washing machine), tried different sockets in the house (still get really good connections between the adaptors but slow speeds), tried using my surface pro instead of my pc (same slow speeds), updated my intel network drivers on my pc, tried resetting the adaptors multiple times, switched off power saving mode on both adaptors, tried different network cables (various cat 5 and cat 6 - no difference), tried turning my SSE router in to a bridge and plugging in a TP LINK router (Archer C2 with latest firmware) as the main router (no difference), disabled bluetooth and wifi on my pc, tried the two adaptors side by side in the same double power socket (good connection again but slow download speed), took down the router firewall and put my ip in the DMZ

The only thing I can think of now is putting the two adaptors on the same extension lead and seeing if the extension isolates me from my main network and whether just going across the extension will give me decent speeds - eg if its the adaptors or my power lines in my flat

You'll never get anywhere near 800mbps actual throughput on powerline. More like 200mbps max.

It's quite a temperamental technology.

Best option is to rub a network cable direct to your pc from the router, an electrician can help you if you're not comfortable doing it.

Cant find anywhere that allows you to change encryption keys on the adaptors.
Did you read the instructions? You should have a section titled ‘Chapter 3 Advanced Feature: How to Use the Pair Button’.

It probably won’t help with the speed problem, but you should be setting your own keys anyway.

TP Link have advised that its to do with vdsl noise;

"Because your line is VDSl, so the current noise may affect the perfomance of the powerline device.
When Lower PLC-to-VDSL interference Mode is turned on, the interference of current noise during data transmission will be reduced, but the Powerline rate during data transmission may be affected at the same time. "

Enabled the mode on the adaptors and its significantly increased the speeds, though as they say dropped the transmission rate a bit and it also switches of the MIMO. Appreciate the support though

Did you read the instructions? You should have a section titled ‘Chapter 3 Advanced Feature: How to Use the Pair Button’.

It probably won’t help with the speed problem, but you should be setting your own keys anyway.
didnt get any length instructions with my 8010.. only a short quick start guide.. will check out if it still applies to these adaptors

Back
Top Bottom