Toughest keyboards

Soldato
Long story short, I'm looking for a really tough, durable, rugged keyboard. Something that can withstand aggressive play.

Most recently, I broke a Corsair K70 with PBT Doubleshot keycaps. A keyboard that I thought was built like a tank...

Any suggestions on brands / models for really solid and durable rugged gaming keyboards?

Associate
dac80c065cdd834551e99b48d2a69b12.jpg

Soldato
Or just play a game that doesn't induce ragequit so much?

For what it's worth, I've pounded the **** out of my Logitech G19 during some seriously frustrating games and it still works perfectly.

Associate
What are you breaking? If you're breaking the cable then a keyboard with a detachable cable would help. If you're breaking the keyswitches then maybe you should buy a dedicated baseball bat for hitting things instead of using your keyboard. Or you could look into vandal-proof keyboards, which are designed to resist being physically assaulted.

Soldato
OP
LOL good suggestions everyone. :D

I'm not a violent guy, but I am heavy handed and I guess I'm playing too much Apex Legends / Rocket League currently, both of which require heavy use of the W key.

On most keyboards I've destroyed, the keycaps go first. I bought PBT keycaps for the K70 and even those broke. I emailed Corsair support and to be fair they replaced the broken keys, but then I broke the switches around the W key area, the keys started registering inconsistently, and the board behind the keys felt "spongy", almost like I pushed the board down inside the shell.

I'm looking at the Ducky One 2 or the Ducky Shine Blackout. Not sure what these are like strength/durability wise?

Last edited:
Associate
So you're adhering to a sort of Bruce Lee regimen, doing regular push-ups on your knuckles and extended fingers? Best you can do is get a keyboard that supports hot swappable switches so you can replace them when you finger your keyboard too violently.

Soldato
I can't imagine using a keyboard so aggressively as to break mechanical switches. I would have to be pounding the **** out of it. And I'd probably have to force myself to get out and touch some grass. And book some anger management sessions. But, you know, that's just me..

Soldato
I can't imagine using a keyboard so aggressively as to break mechanical switches. I would have to be pounding the **** out of it. And I'd probably have to force myself to get out and touch some grass. And book some anger management sessions. But, you know, that's just me..

they do break with "ABUSE" my nephew breaks them gaming in a rage

in normal use they last for years on end

Associate
You might want to go a disposable option, or so cheap you can hammer away and not worry about getting another.

I had a couple of keyboards fail due to a tiny bit of drink hitting one key on two occasions, they were laptop style scissor keys for quietness due to working late hours. I could have spent 100 plus on a replacement and I spent a long time trying to find a full sized, wired, full media keys, full F keys, caps lock light, fairly quiet option. Amazing how many expensive keyboards fail to have all those simple options that I need for work.

Very little that fits that exact bill, even at 100 plus, so I simply ended up getting a good old Microsoft 600, pound for pound amazing value at about £10, perfectly fine for gaming, uses low tech membrane style but is still actually perfectly fine for typing or gaming, pretty quiet as well with a full range of functions I need that many more expensive keyboards don't have.

Easily one of the best value PC components and so cheap it doesn't matter if you break it, I think Louis Rossman of Youtube swears by them as well.

Associate
LOL good suggestions everyone. :D

I'm not a violent guy, but I am heavy handed and I guess I'm playing too much Apex Legends / Rocket League currently, both of which require heavy use of the W key.

On most keyboards I've destroyed, the keycaps go first. I bought PBT keycaps for the K70 and even those broke. I emailed Corsair support and to be fair they replaced the broken keys, but then I broke the switches around the W key area, the keys started registering inconsistently, and the board behind the keys felt "spongy", almost like I pushed the board down inside the shell.

I'm looking at the Ducky One 2 or the Ducky Shine Blackout. Not sure what these are like strength/durability wise?

My Ducky Shine 7 is built like a tank, no baseball bat under the bed needed here & I can't imagine a scenario where I'd break the keycaps, let alone switches or pcb! If you buy a mechanical keyboard with hot swap switches then you can simply swap out the broken switch/keycap if that ever happened.. or perhaps consider a Wooting, their switches can be adjusted which might mitigate your playstyle. Expensive & pre-order only though unless you can sourced one 2nd hand.

Back
Top Bottom