Towers of Midnight

Soldato
The problem with wiating is that the story isnt as fresh and means re reading the last 12 books again, and by again i mean ive re read them quite a bit usually when there is a lull and a new 1 is released, so about 11 times ive re read them so far.

They aren't exactly small books, one every year(ish) from a writer who is also writing his own series of novels is a damn big achievement and expecting them sooner is a bit silly. Also yeah, I do the same, read the series about 6-7 times, thing is writers can only write so fast, expecting them to finish books the size of WoT within a few months (plus prining etc) is just not realistic.

Soldato
I dont think its the writing that takes so long its more the editing, re editing and then publishers holding back on it going to print, so it builds up anticipation so it sells better.

Soldato
I stopped after book 8 or 9, as I there were other things I wanted to read which had more of an imminent conclusion, but I said to myself that I'd re-read the series from the beginning once the final book was released.

Looks like I've got a busy few months ahead of me ;)

Soldato
anyone looking forward to the NEXT ONE?
A Memory of Light only 6 months (ish) away!

Absolutely but the publishers/Harriet are pulling some crappy stunt where it will be held back on digital for a couple of months. No way can I go back to reading a tome like that having used a Kindle for the last two years, my wrists have just become too weak.

Also, crappy stunt is crappy.

Permabanned
Absolutely but the publishers/Harriet are pulling some crappy stunt where it will be held back on digital for a couple of months. No way can I go back to reading a tome like that having used a Kindle for the last two years, my wrists have just become too weak.

Also, crappy stunt is crappy.

I agree...simultaneous release of all ebooks should be mandatory.

Associate
I am looking forward to it, the last books by Sanderson were a breath of fresh air into the series after the deadzone of books 7-10.

I don't think they were deadzones as such. I think Jordan just wanted to get everything setup for what happens from 11 onwards.

However I can understand why people dislike those books because nothing major happens, on the face of it anyway. I think we are starting to see that small things that happened during that time are now quite significant.

Soldato
7-10 were garbage.

I perservered but I was coping with, rather than enjoying, the series by that point. Feel harsh saying this but RJ passing was one of the best things that happened to the series. Jordan's ideas + Sandersons ability/desire to tell a good story has galvanised the series. If I had had to read one more 3/4 page description of dresses or complaints of "wool headed" men I would have burnt all the books.

Can't wait for the finale, great series and shame it's ending especially since Rand has stopped being the most despicable, depressing and down right tedious main character a series has ever had. I can see the reasons for it but glad they brought him from the depths.

Roll on January!!!

Soldato
Can't wait. On my nth re-read and fighting through the awful Crossroads of Twilight.

As for Rand being "the most despicable, depressing and down right tedious main character a series has ever had", you obviously haven't read any Stephen Donaldson!

Associate
Ive trying to pace my re-read till the last one is released, just finished book 7. Its been a few years since i read them, I'm really hoping 7-10 are not as bad as i remember.
I only got to number 11 previously, and i remember it seemed to pick up a little. After reading a lot of Brandon Sanderson's other stuff, I'm quite excited about the end of the series. Its long overdue Rand ripping the world apart.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
If I remember correctly, in 7-10 RJ creates endless new sub plots which are hard to engage in. I'll re-read the last 2 books, but I actually love Sanderson's writing.

Back
Top Bottom