Toyota 1.8 vvti engines any good?

Man of Honour
The one they put in the TSport Corollas for example? Or do you really have to rev the nuts off it to go anywhere?

Are there any comparable cars that are better for whatever reason?
I just want something that I can pootle along in and that'll still have the power to get me past things a little easier than my current car. 1.4d yaris:)

Caporegime
the elise is very light though.

generally VVL tends to be more acceptable in lighter cars designed for screaming high revs everywhere, as the powerband lies near peak revs. i think the car was described as being harder work than a TYPE R etc to drive quickly and keep in the VVL "zone".

check the torque figures and see what RPM the peak HP comes in and im sure it will confirm this

Soldato
Very on and off power delivery, which has it's upsides and downsides.

Upside is you get a nice kick/push when it's in the powerband and good economy below this point. Downside there's zero mid range grunt.

Other than that - it sounds lovely and it's built to last.

Caporegime
from WIKI:

"Output is 180 hp (134 kW) at 7600 RPM with 130 ft·lbf (176 N·m) of torque at 6800 RPM."

"Toyota commissioned Yamaha to design the 2ZZ-GE, and it shares several similarities with street bike engines, the most notable being the relatively high RPM design. The high-output cam profile is not activated until above 6000 RPM (the exact point of engagement is different depending on the vehicle, year, and ECU involved). On all of the Toyota-built vehicles, redline begins at 8200 RPM while the tachometer is typically numbered to 9000, giving an incredibly small "unusable" range"

Regards

Soldato
Oakesy2001uk said:
i think the hot cam timing come in at like 4500 rpm on the elise though dosent it. The celica t-sport is very top endy, good fun though!

It comes in at 6200rpm on mine.

For the Elise it's a superb engine. The power is instant, you put your foot down and it just lurches forward (probably cos it's so light though). I'm not sure how good it would be in a much heavier car like the Celica though.

Man of Honour
OP
Hmm i'll see if there's one nearby - think stockton has one and drive it around a bit...

Anything corolla-sized that's similar power, but bit more usable? I would do my own reseach but aside from the fact I'm too lazy (busy, honest) you're all probably better at it. :)

Soldato
eidolon said:
Unless it's fitted to an 800kg car when it has a fantastic power delivery :)

exactly, they are great in the elise, but I dont think I'd have a celica for that reason, I have the bike for rev thrills, I like some torque in the cars!

Pug

Pug

Soldato
great fun!

it starts at 6.2, and pulls quite hard to 8.2. Low down torque is fine - at least i should say its as good as 140BHP non VVTLi/VTEC car, just when 6.2krpm comes round you get a lovely kick, and another 50BHP

Cant comment on the corrollas, but i love my celica - and one of its selling points to me was its mega reliability. Only issue is to get the lift bolts check and replaced regularly. Not a MAJOR issue, but they have been known to snap. changing takes about 40mins, and costs £2 for the bolts (if you do it yourself obviously) so its not a headache, but if they snap (rare, but happens) it can be quite a hefty bill...

any questions be happy to answer them if i can

Associate
I had a corolla t-sport before my current car, very similar performance to the celica t-sport apart from the stupidly high ride height of the corolla causes high speed aerodynamic issues, once i'd lowered mine the high speed performance seemed to increasse dramatically.

As for the engine there awsome little things but they suffer from a pretty poor ecu map, with a hole in the mid range just before the high cam comes on, this makes the car feel like its not accelerating until you hit 6krpm, the car is actually quick enough below that point, its peaking around 124 lb/ft at around 4krpm which for a 1.8 is pretty good, it peaks again at 6800 at around 133 lb/ft, its the dip in torque between these two points that cause all the complaints. A bit of ecu tuning will correct it, breathing mods go someway to hide it and removing weight from the car makes it come alive, hence why its so good in the elise.

As it stands my corolla had more go about it below 5000rpm than my 2 litre 197bhp celica, infact it was a good bit quicker at any revs so there you go.

All in if you want something perfect out of the box then there probably not for you, they are flawed, if your a modder then these are cracking engines with a lot of potential, but not for everybody.

Man of Honour
OP
Not looking at buying new of course - and 04 I found can be had for about £10k so somewhere around that mark.

It does *have* to be around that size, 5 seats, with the rear ones folding flat to give lots more space in the boot.

I don't have my heart set on a toyota but we've owned probably 10 in my lifetime and never once had any problem with them.

Back
Top Bottom