Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
so now the sky takeover final bids are in - what happens now? will the market open and the shares will be at 'sold' price? i dont have that many shares but want to know do i just sell tomorrow morning or or wait for official correspondence?

Caporegime
so now the sky takeover final bids are in - what happens now? will the market open and the shares will be at 'sold' price? i dont have that many shares but want to know do i just sell tomorrow morning or or wait for official correspondence?

they'll likely be below the price but close to it - the difference in price reflects the perceived risk of the deal not going through

Soldato
Read a very reasonable point on Sky in that it shows how many companies are cheap compared to their international worth. Factors like weak sterling and Brexit are possibly suppressing valuations, but true value internationally is highlighted by occurrences like takeovers and mergers. (not every business can tap into global revenue streams but there is many)

RRS also quoted on Nasdaq, is merging with the worlds largest gold miner. Not sure if that was one reason why recently gold miners appeared to make a bit of a bottom, the gold price itself is pretty awful derailed recovery from where it should be. However Dollar has come back a bit in 2018 from its ski slope of 2017 constant decline. I'm looking for nicer figures on miners maybe to occur when or if they become a lot more popular alongside dollar resuming weakness if not relative to other currency but to 'real' costs

AAZ is paying a dividend after taking 13 years to bring itself to that point. Thats an ordinary kind of timescale it seems, proper investment. Its no where near the top of where it could be best case or speculatively but also its risen a lot from lows. I have to sell AAZ as its way past proper allocation % and I think its reasonable to scale into FTSE and FT250 over the next year which will mean through the March brexit, probably meaning its 'cheap'

VED will be delisting itself as I understand it, unfortunately I failed to add on lows like I should have. This is a smart delisting as its too cheap (bad for me) vs TSLA which will be poorer if they leave

Stronger oil helps some battered small oil stocks and prospects like Falklands, PMO and there is a influence occurring from Trumps tariff threats that helps dollar and is putting prices off where they might be otherwise I think. Since USA is big importer and cant switch gear immediately, I dont see these prices are all going to be correct long term.
Strength lies with the producers not a leveraged consumer

Bit of a legendary trader: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-03-01/apocalyptic-paul-tudor-jones-warns-fed-about-lose-control

Soldato
SXX I always thought was a very reasonable interest long term. Its done well in pre production, I have not paid attention missing the reason for the dip

Musk sued for Fraud by SEC. I'd say -13% is still quite a small amount down from 308, the market perhaps has faith theres a case worth fighting like Musk himself

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/tesla-shares-tank-sec-announces-173457253.html

Best quarter for 5 years, must be a top :p

F8ISDWu.png
Seeing a lot more optimism in gold then previously, the whole sector definitely seems to trend separate to gold price. Vol/price wise I think 175p is reasonable target in terms of a trade of ACA

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Always a good one to wake up to "due to failing to meet the regulatory requirements to be listed on the LSE this stock will be suspended from Monday 1 October" not sure why I'm only getting the notification now.

Associate
Guys, is it better to buy VOO or VUSA. One is US based the other is London based. I am British but live in the UAE, I am thinking about dividend tax.

Soldato
I'm considering investing on montly basis into an Index fund. I'm going for a long term investment using drips to increase the value, to start off my passive income. I'm in my 20s so i do have time on my side to reap the benefits. I'm still learning but i'm thinking that is relatively safe while i'm still learning about the stock market.
Are there any pitfalls that a newbie needs to watch out for while doing this?

Soldato
Bought the nVidia dip again after selling last week. I think it's a good long-term hold anyway so might as well make a bit on the pretty predictable 20% swings.

Soldato
So, buying opportunity, or the end of the bull run?

I'm thinking the former. It's going to take more than the IMF stating the blindingly obvious, needs some kind of economic shock somewhere in the world to start a concerted bear market. Something like a no deal Brexit or Trump starting a war.

Caporegime
So, buying opportunity, or the end of the bull run?

I'm thinking the former. It's going to take more than the IMF stating the blindingly obvious, needs some kind of economic shock somewhere in the world to start a concerted bear market. Something like a no deal Brexit or Trump starting a war.
In my opinion there is no end to the bull run, companies will continue to make more money and these temporary dips are the result of many external influences coming together at once, not least the Trump vs China sabre-rattling.

This time next year all of the stocks will be at new highs, I would (and have) bet a great deal of money on that. If I had more liquidity at the moment I would gobble up more AMZN and BABA shares.

The only people who seem to really panic in these situaitons are people who look to buy and sell in the short term. For us long buyers, patience is key.

Associate
What are peoples thoughts on Activision/Blizzard?

The Diablo reveal has hammered the share price (apparently) but moving their big IPs to mobile should allow them to milk their biggest franchises even more. The stock price is the lowest its been all year. Seems to be worth picking up and COD will do well over the Christmas period.

Soldato
The sell off has certainly got legs. I'm bought a bit here and there the last few weeks but it's still pretty ugly.

I was hoping the midterms might see Trump start to strike a more conciliatory tone but apparently the tangerine tool is determined to drag world markets down with him.

Still happy with the companies I'm in, they'll be growing markets and profits for many years. May have to chuck a little more in!

Soldato
My buy schedule would be over the next year, I think it can run along similarly until the next set of US elections. Many times I looked back and wished I'd spread it out a lot more to capture changes. Think Fidelity is a fairly cheap ISA provider at first look, I might buy in most of it before April because of tax though

AAZ doing amazing, I'm generally bullish on gold especially with the oil price dropping which is often relevant to their margins aside from other complications. Ditto CEY its oversold unless % recovery drops but if gold rises it helps them anyway
75p was resistance for aaz. I've sold most and its pushed past but generally trying to spread risk across whole sectors (ie. buy back gold trust) while still investing however negative it appears. I dont buy the Dollar strength and they have no real ability to bring interest rates back to a 'normal' 5% or so, run a surplus, balance trade etc. Since dollar is the denominator I'm not super bearish though obviously theres going to be upsets

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/n...omers-charged-too-much-interest-on-their-mor/

I was only posting this really, more costs then trade but free money never bad :p I think Lloyds can be 100p at least including their dividend payments and ability to pay it. Deutsche Bank still rumbling with bad debts 10 years after apparently and theirs plenty bad news but I dont see LLOY as a bad bank or unresolved with PPI or whatever negatives occur, dont think its expensive going through brexit

Seems to be worth picking up and COD will do well over the Christmas period.
Only buy for that reason if its going to be a surprise. COD is old boots, its already expected to do however well I'd guess.
The surprise then would be a risk to the downside on xmas sales, possibly. Thats why I'm trying to mention gold, it spiked in 2011 7 years ago is an age for traders focus of interest but every month in those 7 years central banks have been net buyers of gold in place of just owning Dollar debt which obviously has a problem resembling jenga blocks by now.
My guess is its outrun its downtrend, but just a guess as always :o

The Pokemon thing on mobile was a big deal and a surprise to the market that moved the price a lot for nintendo even though they had outsourced it I think.
If this mobile path for Diablo is going to work out great and I guess capture an audience its never had before then sure, sounds good.

Not sure its exactly relevant but I remember the Easyjet price just after their founder left [2010] and it paid out big, if Activision is just turning into an operation run for cash more then ideals or growth then might be ok for share price anyhow. I read advice to buy it at the time, maybe years after he left but still a good call

Last edited:
Soldato
What are peoples thoughts on Activision/Blizzard?

The Diablo reveal has hammered the share price (apparently) but moving their big IPs to mobile should allow them to milk their biggest franchises even more. The stock price is the lowest its been all year. Seems to be worth picking up and COD will do well over the Christmas period.
You shouldn't be investing so close to a hobby. It gets emotional and you will lose eventually.

Soldato
This is going to be one of those newbie questions I'm afraid.

I'd like to get into the stock market but I have very little money to invest. I could probably invest a maximum of £200 a month. On the other hand I am a programmer so I'm really interested in algorithmic trading and looking at financial data in an automated way. The problem is I don't really know where to start. Does anyone have any good recommendations for getting started in the stock market in general and also maybe some books on algorithmic trading?

Back
Top Bottom